Chapter 3: The Argument

——————————🕷️——————————

Wednesday slammed Xavier's drawing of the monster on Sheriff Galpin's desk.

"We both know that there's a monster out there. If we're going to stop it, I think it's time we both put our differences aside and work together." Wednesday proposed.

"And this is your stake for me to deal you in?" Galpin asked, glancing at the drawing. He pulled out the photo of the monster and held the two next to each other. "I'm sorry, you gotta do better than that. You got some nice detail though."

Wednesday took the drawing back. "I didn't draw it."

"Well I need to know who did."

"Unless we're exchanging intel, I'm not at liberty to say." Wednesday argued.

Sheriff Galpin rolled his eyes. "Why would I share information about an ongoing murder investigation with a high school kid?"

"Because I go to Nevermore and you don't. Don't you want some eyes and ears behind those ivy-covered walls?" He offered.

"Listen, Fred, why don't you, Daphne, and the rest of the Scooby Gang stick to your homework and leave the investigating to the professionals." Sheriff Galpin snapped sarcastically.

Just then, the phone rang, and the sheriff hit a button.

"What?"

"Mayor Walker's on line two." A voice replied.

The sheriff sighed and Wednesday began to leave.

"He's looking for an update."

The sheriff looked up and Wednesday and called him back. "Hey, Addams. Let me see that sketch again."

Wednesday came back and showed it to him.

"The person who drew this, that your suspect?" He asked.

Wednesday nodded.

"When you bring me some concrete evidence, maybe we'll talk."

Wednesday took the sketch back and left, just as the sheriff picked up the phone.

...

Enid was sitting at the Weathervane with two of her friends, chatting and drinking coffee, while (Y/n) had gone to look for Wednesday.

Lucas, the mayor's son, had entered the cafe and all three girls noticed him coming towards them, and fell silent.

"Uh, is it okay if I talk to Enid?" Lucas asked the group.

The two girls glanced at Enid who gestured that it was okay that they left.

"Don't worry. I can handle him." Enid reassured them.

Lucas smiled and sat down. "Thanks. I'm—."

"Lucas Walker. Mayor's son." Enid cut him off. "Recently split from Jericho High's cheer captain, Chrissy Smothers. Cute brunette you really needs to rethink her spray tan."

"That's kinda scary." Lucas said.

"I have a nose for gossip, and I follow half your grade on TikTok. Oh yeah, and my neighbor kicked your butt...twice."

"Wednesday Addams is your neighbor?"

"Sure is. I know this isn't a random encounter. So why are you sitting here, Lucas Walker? You must want something." Enid accused.

"I got a friend that works at Hawte Kewture. She overheard you're on the hunt for a date to the Rave'N. Maybe we can help each other out." He suggested.

Enid thought about it for a moment and smiled.

...

Wednesday was walking down the street, when he heard someone call his name.

"Wednesday!"

He turned and saw (Y/n) coming towards him, carrying some shopping bags.

"What the hell was that?!" She asked angrily.

Wednesday looked confused. "What was what?"

"Why did you ditch me? You're the reason I'm going to this dance, the least you can do is help me get through it."

"Why not get Xavier to help you, he is your date after all." Wednesday retorted scornfully.

"The only reason he's my date, is because you made me ask him in order to get information for this stupid investigation!" The girl argued in frustration.

"I don't know why you're so upset. You were complaining in class about nobody asking you to be your date, and now you have one. I'm failing to see the problem here."

"Well...maybe the problem is that...I wanted to ask you to go with me." (Y/n) admitted.

Wednesday's eyes widened, and his heart rate sped up a bit. She had wanted to go with him?

"And now, I have to go with someone I only see as a friend, wearing a hideous dress that Enid picked out for me cause I was too anxious to hurt her feelings and tell her I hate it." She ranted, running a hand through her hair, and sighing heavily.

"I did not mean for you to end up asking Xavier to the dance. But now is your chance to get close to him, and get information on him." Wednesday told her.

(Y/n) looked at him incredulously, before she let out a dry chuckle. "You are unbelievable."

"I'm not sure why you're upset."

(Y/n) huffed. "Well, that's kinda the problem."

"It's not my fault I can't interpret your emotional Morse Code." Wednesday replied.

"Then I'll spell it out for you. I thought we liked each other. I mean, you kept giving me all these signals. But then you made me ask Xavier to the dance, and you're acting like you don't care, and I just have no idea where I stand with you. I mean, am I in the 'more than friend zone' or am I just a pawn you're using in some stupid game?" She asked firmly.

Wednesday glanced down at the ground. "I'm just dealing with a lot right now. I need to prioritize."

(Y/n) let out a defeated sigh. "Okay, well, let me know if I ever move up on your to-do list, I guess."

(Y/n) walked away, leaving Wednesday staring after her, feeling slightly guilty.

Thing crawled out of his bag, and onto his shoulder. "Not..one...word." He spat, and Thing silently crawled back in his bag.

——————————🕷️——————————