Chapter 4: Searching the Cave

——————————🕷️——————————

Wednesday pinned up all the pictures he had taken from the morgue onto the board, which he had moved into the beekeepers shed.

"Enid wouldn't let me keep this near her, and I was worried someone might walk in and see it." Wednesday explained.

"No worries. Mi colmena es su colmena. I assume this the creature that's been rampaging in the woods?" Eugene asked, gesturing to the drawing of the monster with the circle around it.

"You've heard about it before?" Wednesday asked in surprise.

"Rumors. Mr. Fitts banned me from bug-hunting until further notice. Claimed a bear was on the loose, which I knew was a lie. Didn't match their hibernation schedules."

Wednesday glanced at him, slightly impressed. Then he looked towards open windows at the path that leads to the shed.

"Is...(Y/n) coming?" He asked, trying to be subtle about it.

Eugene shook his head. "No, she said she wasn't feeling well. I think it might be nerves about the upcoming dance. Did you hear she's going with Xavier Thorpe?"

Wednesday's hands balled into fists and his jaw tightened. "I might have heard about that." He grumbled, the feelings of jealousy and guilt flowing through his body.

"Speaking of which, could you give this to Enid?" Eugene grabbed a jar of honey. "Put in a good word for me? I hear she's still sans date for the Rave'N."

"Eugene." Wednesday said sharply.

"I know the chance of her asking me are next to zero, but I don't care. I'll keep putting myself out there until Enid finally...sees me."

"And if she never does?"

"She will." Eugene smirked confidently. "I'm playing the long game. My moms say people will appreciate me when I'm older. I know they're probably trying to make me feel better, but—."

"Listen." Wednesday cut him off. "People like you and me and (Y/n), were different. We're original thinkers, intrepid outliers in this vast cesspool of adolescence. We don't need these inane rights of passage to validate who we are."

"So you're not going to the Rave'N either?"

"...No...we don't need to attend events so...idiotic." Wednesday forced out.

"But (Y/n)'s going. With Xavier." Eugene pointed out.

"It's not like she likes Xavier!" He snapped. "It was for ulterior motives."

He turned back to the board. "Sketches are the closest thing we have to a lead to try and stop this thing."

Eugene leaned closer to the sketch. "That circle...I think I know where that is." He realized.

"Show me." Wednesday demanded. 

...

Wednesday held up the drawing to his face and brought it down to compare it was the circular entrance to a very creepy looking cave.