Chapter 6: Gone Fishing

——————————🕷️——————————

Sheriff Galpin just finished pouring himself a cup of coffee, when Wednesday stepped into his office.

"We need to talk."

Sheriff Galpin turned and looked at him. "How the hell did you get in?" He asked. "Bernice? Bernice!"

"Bernice may or may not have received a call about her tabby cat Swifty is being held for ransom. My father did not kill Garrett Gates." Wednesday insisted.

The sheriff looked at him in disbelief. "Well I have his signed confession, and he identified the saber he used to do it. Both of which I'm going to deliver to the District Attorney."

"Don't you find the timing a tad bit convenient? The coroner kills himself out of remorse for a decades old murder case the very weekend my father, your prime suspect, deigns to return to town?" Wednesday pointed out.

The sheriff shrugged. "All I see is a guilty man who's finally going to pay for his crime. And cuffing him myself, oh, that was the icing on the cake." He bragged.

"Sheriff, how are you failing to see that someone is desperately trying to derail my investigation? I found the monsters cave, and I gave you the DNA evidence. Did you even bother to test it?" Wednesday asked.

"This may come as a shock, but the world doesn't revolve around you Addams." The sheriff snapped. He then pulled a file from his drawer and placed it on the desk. "Here. DNA results. No match. Inconclusive."

"So you truly believe that this is all some coincidence? Whoever hurt Eugene also murdered the coroner." Wednesday explained.

"Unfortunately, someone sabotaged the security camera in the morgue, so we don't know what happened. They stuck bubblegum on the lens. Black bubblegum. Maybe I should run a DNA on that."

"Someone is trying to throw me off my game. This is all a distraction." Wednesday insisted.

"No, this is about justice being served." The sheriff argued. "Garrett Gates's family deserves closure, even if none of them are around to take comfort in it."

"What happened to them?"

"His mother hung herself in the backyard. His father drank himself into an early grave. Even his little sister didn't escape. She was orphaned, sent overseas, ended up drowning. Every one of them's gone. So your father doesn't just have Garrett's blood on his hands, he's got the whole damn family's." The sheriff revealed.

...

Enid sat with her mom and dad on a picnic blanket as they watched her brothers play frisbee.

Enid's mom reached into her bag and pulled out a present. "Here. I brought you a gift."

Enid smiled and took it. "That's so sweet. You didn't have to get me anything."

"I know, but I thought we got off on the wrong foot this weekend. I just want you to know that all I want is what's best for you."

Enid opened the gift to reveal several brochures for werewolf summer camps, and her face fell. "What are these?"

"Brochures. For summer camp." Her mom smiled.