Zayn’s heart was pounding in his chest, blood rushing past his ears and adrenaline shooting like ice water through his veins. “Niall,” He whispered softly and reached his hand out, gently touching Niall’s shoulder, “I’m really here.” No reaction, “Really.” Niall carefully lifted his chin, meeting Zayn’s eyes.

A scream climbed from his throat and past his lips and erupted in the air. “Real?” Niall shouted desperately. He ran his hands along Zayn’s face as he breathed. He traced his way along his facial features, nose, lips, around the eyes, the crooks and lines of his jaw and cheek bones, and Zayn leaned lightly into his touch, sighed heavily, and closed his eyes. The first loving human touch he’d felt in days was as gentle as a feather.

“This is real?” Niall begged, messaging his fingers into Zayn’s inky hair, fingers in his scalp.

“Yes.” Zayn keeled gently.

“All of it?” Niall’s voice was childlike as his fingers danced across dark skin. Zayn knew what he meant.

“Yes.”

“Damn.” Niall whispered.

Silence in the air, nothing besides the sound of each other’s breathing. Zayn put his hand over Niall’s heart, and felt his own beating in time with it, the comfort swallowing him. He allowed himself to smile.

“What about Harry? Is he real?” Zayn sat tensely, his jaw terse. How could he tell the boy? How could he tell him?

“Yes,” Zayn said and opened his eyes, running his hands through blond and brown hair and humming under his breath, “Harry’s real. He loves you.”

“How come you’re here but he’s not?” Niall was insane, his eyes too wide and his lips too pouty and sad, and for a second Zayn’s heart hurts. Deep down he sort of wishes Harry was here in front of Niall, not him.

“I don’t know.”   Zayn’s voice is raw and too vulnerable for his taste. Niall’s breath was pitched and strenuous.

“Will he come back to me?”

“I don’t know.”

“Oh.”

“I’m sorry, Niall.”

“But I want him.”

“I’m sorry, Ni. I’m so so sorry.”

Screams.

“Harry. Harry?”

“He’s not here! Baby, Niall, he’s not here with us!”

“Please Harry? Momma! Please? I want to go home!”

“Niall!”