~Chapter Seventy-Nine~

"It's all so weird

"It's all so weird. The Originals are throwing a ball. Like an actual ball." Elena speaks as she sits inside The Grill with Maddy and Caroline.

"They're old-fashioned, Elena. Balls are normal for them. Your overthinking is what makes it weird." Maddy states picking up a fry from her plate and tossing it in her mouth.

"Well, lately overthinking things is what's kept me alive." Elena shrugs.

"Actually, Stefan and Damon are what's been keeping you alive. Along with the honorable mention of Bonnie and I of course." Maddy remarks.

"You bit into my neck and threatened to kill me." The doppelgänger reminds.

"Oh come on, don't pretend you didn't like it." The tribrid smirks. "Plus, I think that was a very reasonable reaction considering your prior actions."

"No, Elena'a right, it's weird. In fact, it's some twisted Cinderella fetish is what it is." Caroline speaks before looking at Elena. "And why does the Evil Witch want an audience with you?"

"What?" Maddy furrows her eyebrows in confusion.

"Esther wants to meet me tonight. She's the one who personally sent me the invitation." Elena explains.

"Why the hell would she wanna meet you?" Maddy scrunches her face up in disgust.

"Maddy." Caroline lectures, gently nudging the girl's shoulder.

"I'm sorry that came out a lot meaner than I intended. It's just, that if she wants to live a peaceful life meeting you is not the way to do it." She chuckles.

"It's fine. I know wherever I go trouble tends to follow." Elena sighs. "I have no idea what she wants but there's only one way to find out."

"I thought you told Damon and Stefan that you weren't going." Caroline inquired.

"I did, which is all the more reason why I need a drama-free bodyguard," Elena states, slowly turning to eye Maddy.

Caroline quickly catches on smiling at Maddy. "You'd look good in a suit, Maddy.

"I look good in everything."  Maddy shrugs, tossing another fry in her mouth. "But I refuse to wear a pantsuit and I already have a date."

"What?" Elena questions leaning forward, resting her elbows on the table.

"You're going?" Caroline's eyes widen in surprise.