Chapter 9- A Little Slap in the Face

Chapter 9- A Little Slap in the Face (not revised)

Another month went by. Qiu Chen's morning sickenss and nausea was almost under control. But his mood swings were not. He developed another habit, which was to trying strange foods. The doctors in ancient era were not much knowledgable in this area, but Qiu Chen himself knew. It was just some pregnancy craving.

This afternoon Qiu Chen was craving for some fried chicken dipped in vanilla ice cream. It was pretty normal that he couldn't get these. But he made the chef make some fried chicken with his own reciepe. He had to say, it was not that bad. Doctor Qi tried his best to restrain him from eating the 'evil' chicken but failed.

So, when Zhao Yichen came, he saw his Wangfei eating something new with relish and the doctor standing not far away looking like he swallowed a fly. He actually got used to coming back to this kind of scene everyday. He walked towards the couch and sat beside Qiu Chen.

"I submitted the reports about the Provincial Government to Father-Emperor through Minister Sun. If nothing goes wrong I will be sent to deal with it within one week or two." Speaking to this point Zhao Yichen stopped. He noticed the change in Qiu Chen's face. The little man was really disappointed. He did not like to be away from him. But he had to go. He also could not bring him with him because of his physical situation. Zhao Yichen spread his hand. Qiu Chen silently went in the warm embrace.

"Don't be sad. I will come back within the blink of an eye," Zhao Yichen tried to coax his wife.

"You go quickly. And come back quickly. So you won't have to again." Qiu Chen paused for while. He looked really reluctant, "But without you here, it will be really boring." Qiu Chen forgot how it felt like when this man was not by his side. "Will you write to me regularly?"

Zhao Yichen looked at the person in his arms. The person had big expressive eyes which were now watery, beads of tears looked like they would fall without a moment's notice. He tried to wipe the tears that had not yet fallen, "There is still time to accompany you. And I will write regularly. By the way, I don't think you will get bored."

Qiu Chen looked at Zhao Yichen in askance. "Father-Emperor asked Eldest sister to come to the capital. She will come to accompany you while I am away."

The Grand Princess of Great Zhao, Zhao YiQing, was the only daughter left behind by the former first Empress. She died at childbirth like fang QingYuan. But unlike Fang QingYuan who died because of not having proper care, the First Empress had a weak physic since childhood. Despite the life and death pursuit of the imperial doctors she left the world after she gave birth to Zhao Yiqing. Zhao Yiqing was declared the Grand Princess upon birth. She was not assigned to any concubine to be taken care of. Even when the present empress was selected and the princess was asked to go to her, the princess refused. She was only two years old at that time, but no one could make her do what she did not want to. Later when Gui Fei entered the palace and went to meet the nation's Grand Princess, the tough and stubborn princess started following her. So, among all the royal siblings, she was closest to Zhao Yichen. She was married to Yan Nijue, the general positioned in the north. A few years back when the General came back victoriously from war, she fell in love with him. The Emperor never stopped her from doing anything. So she just married the man and went to live at the borders.

"The Grand Princess is coming back?" Qiu Chen asked. This is his first time meeting a sister of his husband. He never had a mother-in-law, and his father-in-laws in both worlds were pretty good. But, to be honest, he was really afraid of meeting a sister-in-law, especially one that cares about his husband.

Zhao Yichen patted his back to relax him, "Don't be so tensed. She will like you. I guess you two will hit it off. She has always been a little stubborn and mischievous, just like you." But Qiu Chen still could not rest assured.