Chapter 1- The Mistake

“Why is he here?”

“Yes, his time is not up yet!”

“Who made this low level mistake?”

……………………………………………………………………………

Three different blurry voices entered Qiu Chen’s ears before drifting away in the distance.

…………………………………………..

“Can he be sent away?”

“NO! That’s against the rules. Make some other special arrangements.”

…………………

These voices! It’s killing him!

Oh, it’s peacefully silent again. Just let him sleep for a bit, he’s really tired.

“Welcome to afterlife”, a mechanical voice greeted Qiu Chen. “For your untimely death you were given a special offer to continue your life. You have two options. One, continue the life you had but at a different time to avoid this death. Two, enter countless worlds to fulfill the original owner’s wish, and become an angel after completing the missions. Which do you choose?”

“Afterlife? Am I dead?” Looks like they won’t let him sleep.

“You are, and you are not. It depends on what you choose.”

“What if I choose none?”

“Your soul will be destroyed.”

“You said I died an untimely death. Was it my fault?” Qiu Chen tried to reason; if it was his own fault they wouldn’t try to compensate him.

“It wasn’t, that’s why you are getting options to choose from.”

“Why destroy my soul if it was YOUR fault?”

“Because heaven doesn’t allow mistakes and that’s what you are, a mistake”

“Sorry, I mistook you for someone else.”

“Qiu Chen, you’re a mistake! You always have been a mistake.”

Some blurred but painful memory flushed in his mind, though it went away before he could catch it.

“By ‘countless worlds’ do you mean those worlds of books they write about?”

“You humans know less than 1% of the universe but pretend that you know everything!”

Qiu Chen found it funny to be reprimanded by such a mechanical voice.

“So, what is this universe made of?” he asked with a smirk.

“As you know there are cosmic matters. But apart from that, the universe is made of countless worlds with differences. You come from such a world, and these missions are in some other worlds.”

“Well, I see. I choose option two then!”

“Welcome to the mission world. From now on, I will be your helping hand. You can call me System.”

“Anything else I might wanna know?”

“Every original owner’s wish comes from some obsession that they couldn’t fulfill. When you fulfill their wish, the obsession dies and they enter the reincarnation cycle.”

“System, what about my obsession?”

“Do you have any obsession?”

“I don’t know, I don’t remember.”

“Then why do you ask?”

“Just asking.” Qiu Chen sighed with melancholy. Intuition tells him that he also has some obsession, but he really can’t remember.

“Are you ready to begin the journey?”

“No. But that doesn’t matter. Let’s go.”

“Host: Qiu Chen

Completed Mission: 0

Acquired Skill: None.

Caution to the host, it might feel uncomfortable in your head. The journey begins”