Chapter 7- The Empress

The tiles on the roof of the Gazing Moon Pavilion were not falling apart. But it did not go under maintenance since last monsoon, so saying that it needed some repair here and there was not totally wrong.

When Qiu Chen came to stand by the Lotus Pond, Xiao Bao was on the roof of the pavilion. It needless to say he could not detect Qiu Chen, but only the accompanying Butler Wang. He was doing his job diligently. Qiu Chen extended his hand and Butler Wang handed a porcelain cup over to his extended hand. He threw it towards Xiao Bao with a smooth move. It was directed towards the left ear of Xiao Bao. When it touched his head, the cup broke with a clattering sound.

Xiao Bao looked back with vigilance. Butler Wang saw him trembling with fear. But the caution hidden in his eyes didn't escape Qiu Chen's eyes.

"You come down from there and follow," Butler Wang ordered according to Qiu Chen's wish. Xiao Bao followed them with his trembling knees.

Qiu Chen took them to the Rising Moon Pavilion. He did not want to have a conversation with people around and was even more reluctant to use Zhao Yichen's study.

"Withdraw!" Qiu Chen ordered Butler Wang when they entered the hall of the courtyard.

After the Butler's departure Xiao Bao knelt down in a hurry, "Wangfei! The slave was wrong! Slave asks for forgiveness! Slave does not want to die!" Xiao Bao was full of tears.

"Oh? You were wrong? What did you do?" Qiu Chen found it funny, but still kept a straight face.

"Slave-" Xiao Bao looked for words.

"Cut the crap," Qiu Chen was not that patient, "Are you done with your acting? Your little acting could fool Butler Wang, or even Xiao San, but not me."

Xiao Bao forgot crying for a moment and stared wide eyed. Seeing him hooked, Qiu Chen continued.

"Breaking obstacles with inner qi using strands of hair*, is this technique so common that anyone can learn?" (*move made up by author)

Xiao Bao was now too stunned to pretend. Even people from military troops did not know this technique, it wasn't detectable to them either. But the petite ger in front him does only not know about this, but can also can see through it. He was truly bewildered now.

"Report your true name," Qiu Chen ordered sternly.

Xiao Bao stood up. He already collected himself. The pitiful boy nowhere to be found now, a confident young adult stood at his place.

"True name is forbidden to be reported on a mission."

"Oh? Looks like you need to gain more knowledge. Then for how long have you been disconnected from your master?" Qiu Chen mocked the young man.

".......Should not be reported either!" The young man was a bit flustered.

"If I am not wrong, since my marriage was decreed, your master has not contacted you. The reason being he is not present in the capital," QIu Chen was talking like he just casually mentioned some facts.

"Nothing shall be said," the young man stood firm on his ground.

Qiu Chen raised an eyebrow. He had a very good impression of this young man. "Seems like the Left Prime Minister taught you well. Are you his disciple?"

"How could you-" the young man was at loss of words.

"You really need to train more and gain even more knowledge. Shall I introduce myself to you?" Qiu Chen said with a smile which, to the young man, looked a bit mischievous. He looked with almost undetectable curiosity in his eyes.