Chapter 10: She Owes Me

Della arrived back home, the next day, feeling a multitude of emotions. One of those main emotions was happiness; for many reasons. One, Michael officially asked her to be his girlfriend the night before and two, she realized that she didn't even need to buy the Onzancaire set at all. When Della got back home and eventually got settled in, she took the Onzancaire mixture out of her bag and placed it back in the fridge. She had told herself that she needed to clean out the refrigerator soon and when she did, she would toss it out. Della told herself to forget she ever even stepped foot into The Healing Center, let alone, making a purchase that she felt she so desperately needed. Well, not anymore. Della was officially off the market.

Lady and Desi decided to hang out at the mall one day, after school. Neither of them had any real homework to do. So, as soon as school let out, they both walked to the nearby train station and took a trip to the local mall. The homecoming dance was two weeks away and while neither of them had a date, they had already vowed to each other that they would be each other's dates. After finding the perfect dresses, shoes and accessories, the girls got hungry and went to the food court to grab something to eat. As they sat down at a small table for two and began to eat, they started to gossip about their outfits, how they were going to get their hair done... You know, girly things. Suddenly, Desi spotted her crush, Darren Touissant walking near her and Lady's table with a couple of guys she noticed from school.

Desi instantly got quiet in the middle of her and Lady's conversation and started to blush. Lady noticed this and saw the direction of where her eyes went. She turned back around to confront her friend.

"You know, if you like him so much, why don't you just walk right on up to him and ask him out to the dance?" asked Lady.

Desi almost spit out her lemonade that she was drinking. She grabbed a napkin to wipe her upper lip.

"Girl, are you fucking serious? I can't walk up to that man and ask him something just so... bold. He probably doesn't even know who I am." said Desi, with a look of disbelief.

"Besides, I am way too nervous and scared to make such a strong move on one

of the most popular guys at school. Then, he's sitting over there with a whole bunch of his friends... That shit would be hella embarrassing if he turned me down."

Lady took a sip of her drink and shook her head at Desi.

"Would it be embarrassing if your best friend was standing there, right along with you?"

Desi stopped in the middle of eating a fry and made direct eye contact with Lady. "Girl yes! What the fuck? That's Darren Touissant. HELLO?! What if that man turns me down because he's just simply not attracted to me? Plus, you know with my ability, I'd be able to hear what he really thinks. What if he was to think something super fucked up about me? Then, I'd just be obsessing over it for days... Months... Hell, maybe even years." Desi shuddered, dramatically.

"Nope, I'm going to protect my mental health and just stay right here." said Desi, as she finished off her last french fry.

Lady rolled her eyes and chuckled at Desi's drama and her thoughts.

"You'll never know until you try. My mama used to always say, 'A closed mouth don't get fed!'" Lady stated as she made eye contact with Desi, while sipping her drink. Desi rolled her eyes and got up to walk over to the nearest trash can to throw her food trash away. When Desi came back to the table, she noticed Lady was standing up and putting on a fresh coat of lip gloss.

"What are you doing?" asked Desi.

"Finna go get your man." stated Lady. Before Desi could argue with her friend, Lady grabbed her hand and they walked over in the direction of where Darren and his