Chapter 2: "I Knew You Before You Came."

On A Fall Day In 1994...

After walking on foot for over 30 hours, Jackie finally arrived in the city of Tremé. As he kept walking, it suddenly began to lightly drizzle rain and he could feel the painful blisters on his heels and feet that came from all of the walking he had been doing. He had never walked that long for anything or anywhere. Then again, he never had to. What with his history of stealing cars and what not. Weary and tired, Jackie continued to walk the streets of one of the French Quarters in New Orleans.

Jackie marched along N. Rampart Street, admiring all of the little boutique shops and restaurants that were filled with black people and culture. Jackie started to think back to a time when black people had to endure endless hard labor and abuse from white people to make enough money to shop in these nice stores that sat on N. Rampart. Jackie could feel himself becoming humble yet, proud with every step he took as he strolled. It made him feel good to see black people doing good for themselves, being business owners and just regular working black people, enjoying the fruits of their labor. He couldn't wait to be a part of the crowd.

Finally, Jackie found himself coming to a complete stop when he saw the sign for this peculiar shop called, Dr. Aggie's The Healing Pointe. There was a sign that hung above the entrance door that read "Specializing in elixirs and bonne magie since 1955." Jackie found himself going through a mixture of emotions as he stood outside of the

store. First, Jackie was surprised because as a young Creole man, he instantly translated and knew what bonne magie meant.

Who in the world is still practicing voodoo? Especially bonne magie, Jackie thought to himself. Then, he felt himself become suspicious and confused. Jackie questioned the mention of bonne magie in a public shop, after all of the many stories he heard growing up in Baton Rouge. He could never tell the difference between noir and bonne magie as some people have often said that it was evil to practice both, regardless. Lastly, Jackie felt fear. He got scared because he always correlated the thought of voodoo with one of his ex-girlfriends, Cherie. It gave him a dark feeling all over his body.

When Jackie had just turned seventeen, he had just been released from juvenile detention. He had spent the past six months before his birthday doing community service and taking GED classes while serving time for getting caught in the chop shop after a robbery. Jackie was released the day after his seventeenth birthday and his best friend, Smitty, was waiting for him in the parking lot as he walked out.

Smitty stood about 5'3, dark skinned with two front gold teeth. He always wore his hair in braids, straight back or he'd rock a fro. On this day, he definitely wanted to look his best, so he had his hair in braids while wearing a beige Dickie jumpsuit and matching Timberland boots. As soon as Smitty saw Jackie walk out, he stood up from being posted against the driver's side and threw his hands in the air.

"Wassup, brutha? Welcome home!", Smitty yelled, while laughing loudly. He was so happy to see his longtime friend.

Jackie rushed and ran down the steps, across the parking lot to Smitty and his car. He and Smitty embraced each other while laughing.

"I knew they couldn't hold my partner down for long!" said Smitty, as he broke the embrace. Smitty stood back and looked at Jackie. "How you been, man? You been good?"

Jackie smiled and nodded his head, in agreement. "A brutha just glad to be home, man. I need some real food, some drank and some bread, my G!"

Smitty chuckled and responded, "All in due time, my man. All in due time. I got you on the real food and drank because I know your ass ain't had a decent meal in