Chapter 8: The Healing Center

After settling down in Atlanta, Eva Marie changed her mind and decided to carry on her father's legacy. She found an old, abandoned building on Forsyth St., cleaned it up and renamed it The Healing Center. Since Rez and Toni were in their early 20's and officially done with school, she hired them on to help her out with the shop. Bri and Desi would occasionally pop in and help out but Eva Marie would always tell them to focus on school. She wanted them to graduate first and especially, to continue to hone their abilities. Eva Marie always did her best to serve the community in ways that her father had done back in Tremé. Whether it be keeping evil spirits away or protecting someone else's loved ones, she learned how to do just that. Courtesy of Dr. Aggie.

But there was one particular day that came that made her regret the sale and the customer she sold to. On this day, Eva Marie, Rez and Toni were all at The Healing Center, just finding little things to do. It had been a really slow day, which is something that all of the girls were used to. Until they heard the entrance door opening and could hear the bell over the door ringing loudly to signify they had a customer present. Rez was standing behind the register, reading a magazine and Toni had just got through sweeping. She was sitting down at a nearby table, scrolling through her phone when she looked up and saw who the customer was.

"Della? Is that you?" asked Toni, as she raised up and walked over to greet her. Adella Towns had just walked into The Healing Center and looked around before she noticed Toni and smiled.

"Yes, it is me. How you doin', Toni? Long time, no see, huh?" said Della, as she took off her sunglasses and placed them in front of her unbuttoned shirt. As Toni and Della began to catch up, Rez's ability instantly kicked in. She stopped counting down the register, turned around and stared intensely at Della. She knew Della was up to no good but she remained quiet. Della could feel Rez staring at her and she turned around to greet her. "Hey, Rez. How you doin'?"

Rez continued to stare at Della, not making a smirk or anything. Of course, Toni knew what that was about but she continued to engage in conversation with Della until Eva Marie came out from the back.

"So, what can we help you with today, love?" asked Toni to Della. As Della began to speak, Eva Marie appeared from the back of the store. She walked over and stood next to Toni. Della took a deep breath and said, "Well, I'm here because I need something. Something for love or infatuation. I've become involved seriously with a man and I'm not sure if he feels the same way about me. I want him to be hooked on me like drugs," Della chuckled. Toni nodded her head and motioned with her arm to one of the display cases in the shop.

"You should check out the L'Amour collection. Mama will help you choose something. Right, Mama?" questioned Toni. Eva Marie nodded her head yes and walked over to stand behind the display case. She took her set of keys out and began to open it. Eva Marie struggled with the keys at first as her ability had kicked in the moment Della stepped foot in The Healing Center. Eva Marie could hear the thoughts of Della from the previous days of how she had been plotting to make this man she was

interested in to fall in love with her. Eva Marie lost focus for a moment and accidentally dropped the keys. Toni rushed over to pick the keys up for Eva Marie and said, "You alright, Mama?" while rubbing Eva Marie's arm.

"Yes, Ms. Eva. Are you alright?" asked Della.

Eva Marie, whose hair was once a bright red color, placed a curly, dark brown and gray tendril behind her ear and nodded her head yes. "I'm fine." She then smiled at Della, who was watching this whole ordeal go on with a fake, concerned face.

Eva Marie began to open the L'Amour display case and began explaining to Della all of the products she had and what they could be used for. Della watched along as Eva Marie explained everything. Finally, she picked out exactly what she wanted: the Onzancaire potion and creme set. Eva Marie removed both of the objects from the display case and proceeded to explain to Della how to use them.

While Della and Eva Marie talked, Toni walked over to Rez and whispered, "Rez, calm down. You look as if you want to hurt that girl or something." Rez looked out of the corner of her eye at Toni and said, "No, I don't want to hurt her. But I know she doesn't mean well. Mama knows, too. Why do you think she dropped those keys before she opened the case?"

Toni looked back over at Della and Eva Marie talking and said, "Well, if Mama knows or knew that she was going to do something bad with that stuff, she wouldn't sell it to her, right?" Rez rolled her eyes at Toni and said, "That's the thing. Mama doesn't know about the bad things in the future. She only knows about the past. She probably heard her thoughts or saw something before this but, we also know Della. We've never

seen her really do nothing but, what do we know? And I feel deep down that that Onzancaire she's buying is not for what she says it is." stated Rez. Toni stood up straight, put both hands on her hips and stared at Rez. "So you just gon let it happen? You have the opportunity to stop it right here and right now."

Toni and Rez went back and forth in a heated but quiet argument until Della approached the register, ready to pay. Eva Marie noticed this and scared both of them by saying out loud and annoyingly, "The customer is ready, girls!"

Rez and Toni turned around and instantly were facing Della and Eva Marie. Toni smiled awkwardly and walked away from the register, while pointing at Rez behind Della and Eva Marie's backs. Rez ignored her and rang Della up for the Onzancaire set.

Suddenly, Della's phone began to ring. She immediately answered it and without paying attention, gave Rez a $100 bill and told her to keep the change. Della quickly left the store, while grabbing the bag that held the Onzancaire set. After Della walked out, both Rez and Eva Marie stared out the window, watching Della cross the street. Toni walked up behind them and stared with them.

Eva Marie took a deep breath and sighed.

"I have a bad feeling about this one, girls." said Eva Marie. Rez nodded in agreement and said, "Mmhmm. Me too, Mama. Me too."