Chapter 53

Cesare tapped the desk with his finger.

Tuk, tuk...

The constant ringing sound is full of irritation. Joseph swallowed his saliva in an atmosphere that was about to explode.

Just yesterday, Daphne, who had been visiting Count Peliard, returned with a slightly swollen cheek.

It was not visibly swollen, but Cesare, who had experience rolling in the field with the knights, couldn't help but know.

Besides, is that all? Daphne burst into tears as soon as she saw him.

Cesare had never seen Daphne cry before.

Even when a brief misunderstanding forced Daphne to live in the spire, she did not shed any tears. But her wife, who had visited her parents' house, burst into tears.

The moment he saw Daphne's tears, he felt his hands tremble and the blood welled up.

Clearly, something bad had to happen to Count Peliard.

The reason Cesare pretended not to know was because Daphne had the look on her face. Besides, she even burst into tears before she could say anything.

How dare you slap my wife?

Cesare sharpened his teeth.

Daphne's father, Peliard, came from a greedy family. I heard you are expanding your business by force these days.

Last night Daphne had also asked him to take back her mother's legacy.

The Count Peliar dared to do business with Daphne's inheritance. Shameless enough.

Cesare wanted to do more for Daphne. Daphne rejected everything else, but...

I felt like I could do anything if I had a day to stop Daphne's tears.

Cesare was not the type of person who looked down on someone who touched his own.

Cesare murmured in a simmering voice.

"Did you send someone to Peliard?"

"Yes, sir. The belongings of the Duchess, which remain at Count Peliard, are to be brought back today."

"An investigation into Count Peliard?"

"Recently, as they expanded their business, they seem to have used debentures here and there. Complex debt relationships are intertwined. Here is the report."

Indeed, Joseph is a capable assistant. Last night, he immediately found out what Cesare had urgently ordered and submitted a report.

Of course, it was thanks to Joseph's tearful effort, who didn't want to break Cesare's heart for nothing.

Cesare frowned as he read the report Joseph had handed him.

Is this really why he coveted Daphne's share of the inheritance?

"If I leave it as it is, he will destroy himself."

"I think so, sir."

"But Daphne wanted her inheritance back... I have to get my hands on it before that."

In order to do that, it was good for Peliard to fall once. Do you really need to buy something that will fall in price when it is expensive?

No matter how messed up Peliard was, it was where Daphne spent her childhood.

I wanted to give Daphne the mansion of Count Peliard. Peliard belongs to Daphne, Peliard's only successor.

Even Daphne will be relieved if that is enough.