16. Imagine - Marriage

[ Sad Fact ]

Levi thinks marriage is bullshit.

"Tell me, shorty, do you ever plan to get married? I'd love to see mini Levis!" mumbles Hanji and takes another sip of her beer

Levi rolls his eyes and crosses his arms. Some of his comrades had decided to go out for a few drinks, which is why Hanji invited him directly. For once, he agreed, even though he doesn't know why. Actually, he knew why. He didn't want to be lonely anymore.

"Tch. You're drunk," he grumbles, taking a sip of his own drink.

Hanji laughs and leads Nanaba to another table to leave Levi alone with you next to him. She was the only one who knew about Levi's feelings for you and wanted to bring you both closer.

You giggle next to him.

Levi turns to you and shakes his head. "I shouldn't have come here."

You put a hand on his shoulder. "Don't be like that, you deserve to relax and have fun, too."

Levi grunts and tries not to freak out when your hand squeezes his shoulder once. He doesn't understand why you never notice how nervous he gets around you. It was obvious. The two of you sat at the counter for a while and talked about all sorts of things. It was nice to have someone who understood him. That's exactly why Levi fell in love with you. You treated him like everyone else and saw him for who he was.

On the way back, you both enjoy the night and watch the stars together. "You never answered Hanji's question."

Levi turns to you confused. "What question?"

"If you're planning to get married," you reply.

Levi shakes his head. "No, why should I?"

You shrug. "I don't know. Have you never thought about it?"

"Tch.  Why should I commit myself to someone if I could die the next day?" he sits down next to you on the lawn.

"Wouldn't it be worth it? To still try, I mean."

Levi frowns. He always thought marriage was stupid. Two people who are supposed to share their lives with each other to create a family for the future. It wasn't about love or happiness. Business. That's what it was made for.

"I want to get married," you murmur into the silence. "It seems impossible as soldier, but I want to be loved and have a life with someone who loves me too."

Levi looks at the stars. When he looks at it that way, it sounded inviting - to bond with someone you love.

He looks at you.

"It's stupid, I know." you laugh bitterly.

"What isn't stupid?" butterflies dance in his stomach as you look at him with a grateful smile.

It's stupid because I can't promise you a future, but I still have to ask, will you marry me?