At some point, she tries to leave the circle, but I grab her wrist before she can completely do so. "Where are you going?" I whisper in her ear.

"I'm getting us drinks." She answers like a banality, the anger I've previously seen, weirdly not apparent anymore.

"Leaving me alone with this guy!?" I complain, my whispering getting a bit harsher.

She sighs. "I just need to get my nerves in check before I land a slap across said guy's face." My face soften at her , understanding she just wants space. "I won't be long, I promise."

I let go of her wrist and she kisses the hand that was holding it before swiftly leaving. Though now, I'm the one who's angry for hurting her with no shame. In fact, I'm pissed and he'll know it.

"Lieutenant Turner," I interrupt whatever speech he was rambling making all eyes turn towards me. "could you tell us how did the case you talk about so much fell into your arms" I ask innocently.

"Well like most cases, a call from my boss." He lies, looking at the others around us, like asking them what I was insinuating. They'll know soon enough.

"Therefore you know this case by heart? You're the one that did it from A to Z?" He nods.

"I need to admit Y/N helped a bit reassuring the saddened suspects. You know, it's quite her best skill; the emotion stuff and all." He jokes, a few other boys laughing along with him. Bastards.

Though I don't let my anger affect me. "And could you remind me, Turner, who leads police raids?" I demand of him, everyone getting more and more curious of my build up.

"It varies, but it's mostly the investigating officers." He explains, still not getting my point.

"Then could you tell me why Lieutenant Anderson was the one who led this week's raid on the kidnappers."

He freezes slightly, but quickly gains his composure back "Well you know Y/N, she's young, sh-"

"I'm sorry to interrupt you, Bill" I cut him off, never this happy to prevent someone from talking. "You need to make a lie believable enough to justify the fact someone with less experience than you, who was supposedly 'less invested' than you in this case, led the raid and did the medias' interviews alone." I request.

I signal him with my hand to go back you know what he was saying, every eyes back on him, either expecting a snarky come back or a confession. But nothing comes out of his mouth making me smirk.

"Come on man! Why aren't you denying what she just said!?" One of the guy with Turner's arm around the back of his neck says.

He sighs. "No... no she's right, she's telling the truth." I smile even wider at my win, the silence gratifying the moment.

"Sorry ladies and gentlemen, I've lost a tad of your conversation getting drinks for me and my amazing plus one." Y/N excuses herself, coming back from her walk with a beer for both of us. "So? Who's telling the truth about what?" She asks quizzed by all the slightly stunned faces around her.

"Turner was telling us how much you contributed to the investigation, weren't you, mate?" A man in the group says, not very subtle in forcing the man to do so.

"Yeah... I exaggerated earlier, you were part of the investigation too." He confesses half-heartedly

I can see Y/N more than taken aback by the closest thing she would get of an apology and it makes her smile childishly. "Thank you, Bill" She says and I find that a bit too humble knowing the reality of how the work was shared, but if she's happy with it, I'm okay with that.

After a while people start talking about different anecdotes in their career, some actually interesting, others not at all. All of it seems quite banal, but Y/N's presence brings a light to all of it, making it really fun.

At some point in the discussion, I decide to leave to the buffet getting Y/N and I some food. I'm making us plates when I feel someone stop behind me, I move out of the way, guessing they simply want to take something on the table I'm in front of, but they don't move an inch.

"What'd you want?" I ask figuring the person's here to talk to me, but they're hesitant.

"Umm...Natasha, right?" I turn around seeing none other than Turner.

"Why are you here, Lieutenant?" I ask annoyed

"It's free food, exclusive to police officers, of course I came." I roll my eyes at the answer.

"What do you want to say to me." I rephrase exasperated.

"Oh... I-I wanted to apologize for the things I said about your girlfriend. She's a great kid." He says sounding way more serious and honest than the first time, taking me slightly aback.

"Why aren't you telling her all this?" I ask emphasizing the word 'her'.

"Well you know the police world is a tough one, I can't look weak in front of my colleagues. And by talking to you in private, at least it looks like I'm flirting with you or some shit. Also, I'm less scared of Anderson's reaction to see me flirting with you than yours if I was flirting with her." He explains his demeanor getting more confident, in a bad way.

This guy is tiring, it's like he knows the right thing to do, wants to do it, but doesn't, because it's cooler not to, when it actually makes him look stupid.

"You told me you came here for the food, right?" I ask making him nod vigorously. "Did your mother ever tell you to keep your mouth shut when you eat?! 'Cause you should've, the whole night, would've given us a break." I spit adding the missing food on my plate and leaving the buffet to join her.

Once I'm back to where we were she's farther away next to a table end, having a quite heated discussion with Espinoza. -At least it's what it looks like from here-

"What's happening here?" I ask, putting our plates down on the table and crossing my arms intimidatingly towards the man my girlfriend's speaking with.

Sam takes a small glance towards me, but quickly looks back to Y/N's who's pinching the bridge of her nose with her fingers. "Please girl, you know it's better if you're the one to do it." He insists ignoring my question.

"If she does what?" I demand louder.

Y/N sighs next to me "They need me to do a speech about how our world changes lately with superheroes..." I nod slowly, waiting for the missing part. "And for some reason medias are at the doors."

"Okay" I answer calmly, taking in the infos I just received. "And I suppose by your reaction that you didn't prepare anything."

"I would've! If people told me I'd have to speak in front of a crowd!!!" She answers stressfully, her eyes shooting daggers straight through Espinoza.

"I'm sorry Anderson! I'm sorry! But nobody knew medias would be here and honestly, no one really believed you'd come." He justifies making Y/N sighs like she can't blame him for that.

"If medias are here it's because they somehow knew there would be some kind of speech. What was your back up plan, since you didn't truly consider Y/N's presence?" I question.

"The plan was for Turner to say a thing or 2, since he's your partner. But with the cameras..."

"Yup! Not working so much anymore." She confirms and I can't disagree.

A/N: Heyyyyy this is the end of the chapter, hope you liked it! Enjoy the rest of your day! See yaaaaaaaa :)