Pain Killers

Y/N's POV:

It's been almost a month and Natasha still hasn't called, I wasn't very hopeful from the beginning knowing how stubborn she is but now, hope's dead.

So I'm at the bar, drinking this knowledge away and telling everyone who deems me worthy of their time to piss off. Ironic isn't it? How I know that talking about it will help, but I just feel like it would get worse. Maybe I'm just more of a listener than a speaker or I simply don't wanna move on "You know, one day you're going to need to talk to someone" Jim says absentmindedly washing a glass

"Don't call yourself a nobody, bud" I answer indifferently

He loudly drops his stuff on his side of the counter, rolling his eyes "Talk to someone about what makes you drink so much! You're here every night Y/N, talking to no one but me. Don't get me wrong , I love when you're here, but this isn't you. It's barely the shadow of you" He explains

I scoff, sticking on the only word my mind was able to focus for the last month "Love. Love is disappointing"

"That's what all this is about." My friend realizes "What happened with Natalie?" He asks "Or should I say Natasha?" The man still doesn't like her that's for sure.

"She dumped my dumbass." I decide to answer, taking a large sip of my drink right after hoping it'll help me swallow reality

"Don't call yourself a dumbass! You fell for a woman that was trained to do so and it turned out she hid not only that, but a lot more. You didn't deserve that but it happened. Hell, she didn't deserve you and you 2 happened!" He describes going back to his job

"She's the best of the best. This woman I didn't deserve chose me and I fucked it all up" I argue

"Be more positive Y/N." He encourages "Natasha is one of those Avengers, they're great but far from perfect. Honestly, I'm happier if you're not around one of these freaks with powers" He comments bitterly, forgetting the part where we saved humanity from aliens.

His sentence sobered me up like a punch in the face "Natasha and Hawkeye don't have powers." I lie as calmly as possible considering he just insulted all of us.

"C'mon Y/N, she went hand to hand with aliens and you're telling me she doesn't have any powers? To others." He insists like there are no other options than this one.

"If you wanna think so fine. Though I can affirm you there's no more human than Nat."

"How can you be so sure?" Jim continues like I'm delusional to think like it do, the reality being that I just want to protect Nat's secret.

"Because she told me so and I still trust her Jim!" I answer my voice raising a bit, wanting to end this shitty conversation.

Finally, the man shuts up about powers, making silence fall on us like a ton of bricks. That's when I decide it's time for me to go to sleep.

"Thank you for tonight. Good night Jimmy Jim" I say standing up, leaving money on the counter and waving to my friend without looking back as he answers his classic 'you too'

The next evening, I expected something alike all the other nights, but when I see Mark sitting on a stool across from Jimmy, the idea disappears right there. Both guys still haven't made a move on each other and the little show is starting to get boring after 2 years, to be honest.

I sit away from them, not in the mood for this, but inevitably Jimmy needs to come and take my order. Mark follows him and sits next to me making me internally groan.

"Hey Y/N! It's been a while, happy to see you." His greeting is met with a long silence. I thought the message it just sent was clear but it somehow wasn't. "Jimmy told me about your little heartbreak." I send a death glare towards the mentioned man, if I didn't want to talk about it with him in the first place. Why the hell did he think telling it all to his crush was smart!? "How are you doing?" What a stupid movie like question? The guy's lines always feel scripted.