Chapter 15 - Mateo

Start from the beginning

Emma gave me a nod and walked off to the side with me while the other students moved past. Some of the other girls hesitated before they, too, walked away, leaving us alone.

"What did you want to talk about?" she asked in her soft voice. The sound of it made me want to kiss it off her lips. Yeah...being her professor would be more challenging than I'd first thought.

"What did he give you?" I blurted out in a harsh tone before I could bite my tongue. That was not what I had planned on asking her.

Her eyes widened, taken aback by my sudden question.

"W-what?" she asked, her brows scrunched in confusion. She looked so damn cute when she was confused.

"What did Liam give you?" I repeated, now determined to know. "He handed you a piece of paper. What was on it?"

Then came the realization as her mouth gaped ever so slightly before she swallowed.

"Oh, he just...we just...he gave me his number. It's for school," she rushed to explain, looking like she'd been caught doing something she shouldn't have.

Damn right, she shouldn't accept numbers from guys who were clearly fucking interested in her—the fucking heart eyes he'd given her could be seen from miles away.

"For school, huh?" I repeated, raising an eyebrow.

Emma nodded. "Yes, for school. It's for exchanging notes and such."

"Exchanging notes? Wouldn't an email suffice? Surely that would be easier for exchanging notes."

Her brows lowered. "I suppose so. But he gave me his number, and it wasn't like I could decline it."

"Why not?"

"Because we'll sit next to each other for the entire semester. It would be awkward."

I looked towards his seat in thought before returning my attention to her. "I could move him."

She shook her head. "I don't want you to move him."

"You don't?" I asked, sounding like a damn parrot.

"No, he's comfortable sitting next to. I don't want a new person who might distract me during the seminar."

He was fucking comfortable sitting next to? The guy who's clearly flirting with her?

"Was that all?" she asked, her voice uncertain. Seems I wasn't as comfortable as Liam was...

"No," I answered, letting go of the whole Liam situation—for now. "I just wanted to check in with you and hear if you have any questions about the material."

She frowned. "I thought you said I wouldn't get any special treatment?"

A chuckle escaped me as I shook my head. "This isn't you getting special treatment. It's me being a good professor. If any of my students are having a hard time with something and I know about it, I will always make sure they're not struggling in my classes. Granted, you only missed one class, but I know how it can snowball, and I want to know that you're catching up before it becomes too much."

"Oh." She looked embarrassed; her cheeks started to glow with that sweet blush. "That's very considerate of you. I'm doing okay, though. Your notes helped a lot."

"Good." I smiled. "Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need extra help with the material or have any questions. You have my phone number, but if you're not comfortable using it for anything school related, my office hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays from twelve PM to two PM."