A Second Chance

Dark. Cold. Narrow.

Those were the three feelings she was feeling this time. She didn’t know how she ended up in this horrible place, but the most important thing here was that her eyes were open. Again.

She opened her eyes. Now she no longer felt the cramped feeling although the cold and darkness still lingered. This time she stood up and tried to guess where she was.

But her efforts were useless. Because as far as her eyes could see there was nothing she could see except endless darkness. Only a little light followed wherever she went and walked, but other than that, there was no light.

She continued to walk without stopping for several minutes, but again she found nothing. Eventually, she gave up walking and tears began to flow from her eyes.

“Where am I exactly?”

No one could answer the confusion in her head right now. She cried, roared, and screamed trying to call for help. But no one came to save her.

“Somebody! Please help me!”

Her voice echoed in this dark place. Her confusion turned into fear and worry that she couldn’t stop feeling right now. Until finally, someone approached her.

“You’re ....”

“Who is it?! Somebody help me! I ... I don’t want to be here.”

The voice other than her made the hope in her heart increase and immediately looked toward the source of the voice behind her body. But when she saw it, the figure made her frightened.

She was startled and fell to her knees when she saw the figure behind her. A figure with a jet-black cloak and headscarf with the bottom torn off and carrying a scythe that was larger than the figure’s size.

“Who the hell are you? Get away from me!” she said as she swung her hand away from the figure.

“Stop that, you won’t be able to escape from here.”

“Eh? Wh-what do you mean?”

“You’re already dead.”

Her eyes widened when the figure told her that she was no longer alive. But even so, she did not believe it and was stubborn that she was still alive.

“D-dead? No way! There’s no way I’m dead! I’m still alive!”

“Then, can you answer my question?”

“Questions?”

“What is your name? What did you do while you were alive? How old are you? What are your parents names? What are your siblings names? Where do you live?”

The figure bombarded her with all sorts of questions that were simple but also showed that it was proof that she was still alive. She could of course answer them because they were easy questions, if only she was still alive.

“My name is .... Wh-what?”

“Of course you can’t remember it. That proves that you are dead. And the place you’re currently in is the afterlife.”

“Afterlife? This dark and cold place? Shouldn’t the afterlife be a place of torture or a place of pleasure?”

“Follow me.”

The figure did not answer her question and instead told her to follow him. Having no one else and not wanting to be left alone, she followed where the figure went.

As the figure moved, there was a light that widened under their feet and formed a straight path that led nowhere.

Apart from her, suddenly one person appeared, then two people, then suddenly a horde of people followed the figure behind and beside her which made her a little surprised and scared.