Chapter 29

29.

○○○

The school bell rang, and Valeria waited for the students to pour out of the class, not wanting to cross their paths or be the centre of attention again. Ever since she left the nurse's room, she has been thinking over everything Luc had told her and trying very hard not to focus on certain bits of the Etome that she saw.

She tried to make sure that she caused little to no trouble out here in the real world, she didn't want to draw too much attention to herself because she didn't want another episode of forced submission that would subdue her into retreating to the Etome. Valeria wanted to stay as far away as possible from that place, to give her wolf a fighting chance at the Hunt, even if it meant sitting on her ass and trying to focus on the lessons being taught in class.

Valeria packed up her things and slung her bag over her shoulder. She decided to go to her locker to change a few books out and then go spend lunch in the library, she didn't want to be a target in the cafeteria, which she knew she would be.

She opened her locker and switched out some books before closing it. Everything was going according to plan when she felt the hairs on her back rise, and her instincts kicked in as she dove.

The sound of a grunt echoed in the hall as the attacker removed their hand from the now bent locker. Valeria turned to meet Serene's taunting eyes and the little pose that always followed her behind.

"Valeria, I need to have a word with you," she growled at her.

Valeria looked between the dented locker and Serene before she met the she-wolf eyes, "I don't necessarily think punching me would be a good conversation opener, Serene," she retorted.

Serene growled at her, "You have the nerve to make snarky remarks with that abomination growing in you," that statement earned a few snickers from the pose behind Serene.

On instinct, Valeria placed her hand on the small bump and slightly turned her body away from Serene, afraid she might try something.

"Leave me alone, Serene," she sighed.

"But all I want to do is just have a quick word with you about our darling Beta." Valeria's eyes narrowed at her statement and at the group of girls that were starting to circle, and the hairs on her neck started to rise again.

"But I have nothing to discuss with you, especially concerning our Beta," she growled, watching the girls but also trying to keep an eye on Serene, who chuckled with mischief in her eyes.

"Yeah, but I think you're lying. The pack law states that any wolf that is to suffer the punishment of the shunning should be isolated away from everyone and anything, but you have our Beta breaking laws just to be with you, why?!" Serene growled at her.

"I don't know, why don't you ask him yourself?" she grunted as she glared at Serene. Her chest rumbled with a warning at the girls who smirked at her.

"No, I don't want to disturb the Beta with useless girl talk, I just want you to tell me." Right at that moment, Valeria felt someone push her forward, and she stumbled before catching her footing. She growled at the brunette who pushed her.

"Goddess Serene, I don't fucken now. Leave me the fuck alone!" She growled in agitation.

"You're lying!" and just like that, Serene ran forward with an attack, and Valeria caught her arm, pulling her forehead and head budding her.

She heard Serene fall to the ground with a groan before turning to the brunette, who attempted to kick her, but Valeria swept her leg from under her, and she went down.