Chapter 8: Ash vs Hala

Start from the beginning

The group all give Ash their best wishes and make their way to the stands to watch. Ash takes a deep breath while adjusting his cap. He mutters "showtime," and makes his way through the crowd towards the battlefield. The crowd all cheer and chant as Ash walks through them with only small metal barriers stopping them from getting to him. Ash puts his head up and smiles as he continues to walk forward. He approaches a set of stairs that leads into a circular ring. He walks up them and upon reaching the top he looks across to meet eyes with Hala.

Ash smiles and says "my name is Ash Ketchum from Pallet town and I'm here to challenge the kahauna for the fightinium z." Hala smirks and says "challenge excepted, I've been waiting for a proper challenge for almost 20 years now. You may have fought bravely against team skull but now it's time to see if you hold up on the battlefield against melemele islands best." Ash smirks and says "I don't plan to just hold up I plan to surpass the best."

The crowd cheer as the referee steps forward. He exclaims "this battle will be a three on three between the challenger Ash Ketchum and the Melemele island kahuna Hala. The battle will end when either sides pokemon are unable to battle. Only the challenger will be allowed to make substitutions. Do both trainers agree." Ash and Hala look at eachover and nod. The referee nods in response and shouts "please send out your first Pokémon."

Hala reaches down into his pocket and grabs a pokeball. He throws it and shouts "Stufful your up first." The pokeball lands and out comes a small teddy bear like pokemon on all fours. Ash takes out his Pokédex and says "who's that Pokémon." The Pokédex tells him that the Pokémon is called Stufful a normal and fighting type. Ash puts away his Pokédex and with the same hand takes a pokeball off his belt. He throws it and shouts "Rockruff I choose you." Rockruff exits his pokeball and let's out a mighty bark "Ruff." He then looks at his opponent and growls.

In the stands Hau tilts his head and says "is Ash an idiot he knows Rockruff is weak to fighting type moves. Kiawe smirks and says "Ash doesn't care about type matchups he only sends in a pokemon who he thinks can win the battle." The referee raises his hand and shouts "let the battle begin."

Ash quickly makes the first move of the battle extending his arm forward as he shouts. "Rockruff use bite." Rockruff nods and darts towards Stufful while bearing his fangs." Hala puts his arm forward and shouts use "take down." Stufful smirks and charges at Rockruff with a light blue aura surrounding him. The two attacks collide at full strength and both Pokémon fall back towards their trainers.

Knowing Stufful will take recoil damage Ash moves first looking to push the pace off the battle. He shouts use "rock throw." Rockruff leaps in the air while exclaiming "Ruff" he forms a boulder and throws it at Stufful. Hala extends his arms outwards and shouts "now use protect." Stufful stands on his hind legs and creates a a blue barrier that the rock throw collides with causing it to be completely neutralised.

Ash grits his teeth seeing Rockruff falling back down to the ground completely vulnerable to a counter attack. Hala knows this better than anyone and makes his move. "Stufful hit him with low sweep." Stufful nods and rushes towards Rockruff and smashes him with a low sweep right before he lands on the ground. The attack hits hard causing Rockruff to skid along the floor and crash in front of Ash.

Ash looks down and says with concern "are you okay Rockruff." Rockruff struggles back to his feet and bark "ruff rock ruff." Ash looks in deep thought and says to himself "I've got to find away around that protect." He then clicks his fingers and exclaims "that's it! Rockruff use rock throw again." Rockruff nods and leaps into the air throwing a rock towards Stufful.

Hala frowns and says to himself "what are they thinking." He snaps out of his thoughts and calls for the same counter as before. "Stufful use protect." Stufful nods and once again surrounds himself with a blue barrier. The rock throw once again bounces straight off the protective barrier giving everyone a sense off deja vu. Rockruff falls towards the ground as Hala starts to command another low sweep but is interrupted by Ash "not this time. Rockruff spin towards Stufful and use thunder fang."