4 ≈ She

CAIDENCE P.O.V

Ohh my god! The woman I knew since I was ten, my second mom, Kevin's real mother! She's..dead! I watched as lights flashed all around us. People were rushing from here to there. So many policeman....awhh my god. This is something I thought I'd truly never see, her being rolled out on a gurney. Kevin screamed out in disbelief. He tried to run over to her but I held him back. Then, he finally got loose. He ran over to her and removed the sheet from over her face. Her face was gone.

His face flushed and he was pushed away by a few ambulance workers. He turned around in a slow then fell to the concrete ground.

•••

I held his hands and stared him in the face. He didnt look at me, I didn't expect him to. I couldn't even begin to understand how this makes him feel. I mean first he gets a call saying his mom is dead, then he finds her dead, then he sees her faceless. Today couldn't get much worse.

He hasn't said anything for the past four hours. Its 7:00 and we're still at the hospital because the doctor said we could leave when we're ready. Kevin hasn't said he's ready and I haven't suggested that we leave. I'm fine with whatever he wants right now. He's really going through it!

"Kev..."I whispered as I rubbed my thumb across his hand slowly

"Her face...it it wasn't even there!...what kind of sick bastard..." he sighed hard and his eyes wandered the room as they filled with tears. "Sometimes I just wish the world was smarter..ya know? Like -like why are there criminals anyway? Why..why can't we just know what to do or how to react before something like this happens? I just don't get it, its crazy out this motherfucker Cai" he stressed

"I know..sometimes I wonder why too. And after today, I know that anything I say doesn't matter but..I'm here" I told him

He finally looked me in the eyes. "I know, I never doubted..you must be a gift from god because you're the only one who's ever there for me..thank you cai" he said before he kissed my cheek then wiped a couple tears away

I looked down and then looked into his eyes again. "You know I'll be here, anytime"

"Aight"

"You wanna go home?" I asked

"Yeah, let's go" 

We left and drove to my house. When we got in I made us some pizza rolls. He just leaned up against the counter with his eyes closed. Thinking, I assumed.

He heard me walking by and he followed me upstairs into my room. He sat on the couch and just stared at the floor. I feel beyond sorry for him. Its a different type of sympathy though. This kid is my motherfucking brother. I'll never forget all the times we've had. He has a special place in my heart, and not only because I'm an only child. 

I laid on my bed and checked my messages. Devon sent me a text saying "what happened to kev?". I replied "his mom..she's dead. Don't call him, don't tell anybody just let him have his time. You can't come over today, he's staying here". He texted back "okay, call me when you can".

I put my phone on the charger and laid down. Kevin was staring at me. I looked at him with a small smile on my face. He tried to smile, he didn't though. I got up and sat next to him. He stared at my lips and I scooted away a little.

"I really need some of that right now" he told me with a straight face

"My lips?" I asked

"Yeah.."

"Oh...umm" I gulped

"Listen Caidence, I've liked you for a while now and you've always been there. Its hard not to fall in love with a female so..beautiful, ya know? I..I love you" he put his hand on my thigh and looked me in the eyes. "Its been so hard not to fall in love with you....and I need all the love I can get right now"