Chapter Seventeen

Chapter 17

The next morning when Brett didn’t show up for Calculus I was starting to get a little worried about him; what if something bad happened to him and he was hurt… The thought of that made my stomach ache.

I was forced to sit next to Chase, which I wasn’t too thrilled about but he didn’t seem to really do anything to me so I left him alone. Half way through class he leaned over and I gulped shrinking back into my seat a little. “Ally?”

“Hm?”

“You’re shaking, you know,” he whispered.

“I guess I’m just cold,” I lied.

“Oh,” was all he said.

The door suddenly opened and Brett came strolling in, he refused to make eye contact with me just glanced at our teacher and continued walking to his seat that was right behind mine. I dared myself to look up at him and noticed the bags under his eyes and the slight smell of smoke coming from him. I closed my eyes and look down at my desk; I really couldn’t handle looking at him. If he was as depressed as I was he sure didn’t show it as much as I did. I couldn’t help but wonder where he was yesterday though; he was probably smoking and drinking all night or something.

“It was nice of you to join us,” my teacher said.

“Whatever,” he muttered. I could feel him put his feet on the legs of my desk and push on them making my desk move forward as he stretched out. I turned around and looked at him to see him already looking at me. We held each other’s gaze for a second or two before I broke it by turning around and facing the front, that’s when I noticed everyone staring at us like they knew exactly what had happened with us on Saturday.

The rest of class went by but the only person I was thinking about was; Brett. All I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and cry all night. At the end of class Chase stood up and smiled at me, “Let me carry your bag,” he said.

An evil smile appeared on my face as I said, “Yeah sure,” and handed it to him. The only reason I was doing it was to piss Brett off and it seemed to be working, his hands were clenched and his jaw tightened.

Chase’s face lit up as he took my bag and slung it over his shoulder. I followed him out the door not even glancing back at Brett once (as much as I wanted to).

Chase and I walked side by side all the way to our lockers. We didn’t say anything and I wondered how such a cute innocent looking boy could be so evil on the inside. Does he even realize that he’s possessive and stalking me? Most of the hallway was cleared out now so when Chase grabbed my arm and pulled me into the closet no one saw it. He stood against the door so I had no way out.

He dropped the bag on the floor and stepped towards me covering my mouth so I couldn’t scream. “Ally, why won’t you talk to me?”

I mumbled into his mouth and he uncovered his hand from my mouth. “Because I umm-”