39.

One Week Later

Chloe was improving immensely and I couldn't be anymore happier than I already am. Today was also the day that she was discharged from the hospital and that she could return back home.

But there was an issue with that, the police condemned the area after I killed Dante and thankfully they understood that I was defending the both of us at that moment. And when it comes to Chloe's well-being, I was thinking of buying out a house in Toronto that we could live in together because I knew that she was going to be traumatized after what happened at her current home.

While Chloe was sitting up from her bed and talking to our friends, she had the biggest smile on her face that could light up an entire room. Then I felt like I had to talk to her about this big step when it comes to moving in together.

"Hey baby, can we talk for a moment?"

"Yeah, sure!"

I walked towards her and kept her close to me in case she were to stumble over and fall after she departed from the bed. When we arrived to a secluded area outside her hospital room, I brought my hands around her waist and looked into her eyes.

"Chloe. There's something I've been meaning to tell you."

"What's that?"

"Well, you can't necessarily go home today."

"Why? You know I have a house, Joe."

"Yeah, but would you really want to return to a home where I killed that hitman? I don't want you to have PTSD."

"I don't think I'll be traumatized if we can..."

I interrupted Chloe by pulling her close and pressing my lips softly against hers.

"Chloe, I've been meaning to tell you that I was going to buy us a house in Toronto."

"You are?" She asked.

"Yeah, that way, we could live together and it'll be bigger than your last home. I couldn't forgive myself if I allowed you to return to a home where I killed somebody that tried to kill us and you possibly seeing your dried blood stained into the carpets of your living room." I sighed, "And besides, the police condemned your house when you were rushed to the hospital so there's no way to get back to your house unless they'll allow it."

"I understand. Maybe in the future they'll allow you to get my old belongings from my bedroom and bring them to our new home?"

"I can ask, but I'd have to be the one to take a trip over there, load it all up and bring it to our home and maybe Colby can help me too."

"You're the best, Joe."

"I'd do anything to make you happy."

Chloe
I was surprised that Joe was about to buy us a new house together. Understanding how difficult it's been ever since Dante was an inch close to taking my life with a single bullet, I appreciated everything that Joe has done for me.

After Joe needed to get something to eat at the cafeteria before we left, Colby and I were all alone in the room and he approached me with a warm smile on his face while I laid back in my bed.

"Hey, Kiddo. How are you holding up?"

"I'm feeling a lot better, thank you."

"No problem. Also, I'm glad that you're awake because Joe was devastated while you were out cold."

"He was?"

"Yeah. He always stayed at your side and even struggled to eat. He was more worried for your well-being than himself."