A Small Price to Pay

I decided to come back. wow.

TW: Mentions of sewerslide and self-harm

________________________________________________________________________________________

Gus POV~

It rained again today, and with each drop, I am reminded of what happened only two months prior (Yes, there was a time skip) I had tried to keep everyone happy but Luz was still blaming herself.

She tried to hide it at first but now she lets us see her shame. 

I failed. I have no purpose. I this was a story I would be the useless fried who blends into the background. I was so meaningless that I even failed my dad and Matt.

Why do I keep thinking about him? I feel a sharp pain in my chest. What was happening to me?

I trudged up the stairs to see Camila sitting at the table. At the sound of my footsteps, she turned.

"Yes, Hijo?" (Hijo means son) Camila asked.

"My chest feels, weird. But only when I think about one person. It feels sort of... stabby???"

"Who is this person?"

"A... Close friend."

"Do you have any ideas why you might be feeling this way about them?"

"I feel like I failed them and I want things to be right. I just want to know that they are ok. I saw them on the last day we were in the boiling isles together. I-I guess I just want to see them again."

A look of realization passed over Camila's face, quickly followed by a knowing smirk.

Finally and decisively Camila stated this: "You have a crush."

There was a pins-and-needles sensation all over my face and I knew I was blushing.

"N-no, we are just friends nothing more, Ha hA Ha" My voice grew high and squeaky with a crack here and there.

"Hmmm, and you are blushing because of this 'friend'" Camila said with the same godforsaken smirk pasted to her face. 

I thought about what she said. I had been noticing that Matt was a little prettier than other people but I assumed that it was just natural beauty. Without thinking further, I blurted,

"I like Mattholomule."

Camila chuckled "I guess I have a name now."

I turned a deeper shade of crimson. With that Camila dismissed me to the basement for rest as I had a long day planned out. 

------------------------

MATTHOLOMULE POV ~

I don't want to be here. Every day. The same routine. Bria would send me out for work and feed me just enough demon food to keep me standing. What's the point? I have only made things more miserable by adding my own scars to the ones that are given by Bria and her grueling tasks. There were many bloodstained thorns sitting in a specific clearing. Sometimes I cut too deep and I wind up with a mess on the ground.

I miss Steve. I miss my Mother. Most of all I miss Gus. What was he facing? He always knew how to cheer someone up but who would cheer him up?

I rose from my craphole that I now called 'home' and looked outside to see the clock tower Bria had me construct for her sick work camp. I had an hour that I could sleep for but with thoughts like these pounding through my head, I wouldn't get more than a blink.

I slowly emerged into the outdoors leaving Boshca behind. In the two months we had been sharing the wreck it only seemed more like it would collapse every day. I stood up outside and heard the crisp crunch of pine needles beneath my feet. 

I turn towards the heavily trodden path made by your truly and look for a reflective surface. I hadn't seen my appearance in months and I don't want to look like a complete wreck. I quickly located a small stream and saw that there were more freckles speckling my face. I also saw that I had a horn much like Steves protruding from my forehead. My hair had gotten especially long in the back so I quickly found a sturdy-looking plant and used it to tie my hair into a ponytail. To be honest, I didn't look half bad for how I has been treated. Sure my clothes had a few more holes in them and I had some mud on my face but all I had to do was survive a little longer and I would be free.

________________________________________________________________________________

More art of Matty made by me:

Sorry for the bad quality, but I do have some digital art I made of (SLIGHTLY MORE) Canon Matty:

ILY ALL SM!!!!! <33333