37: A life for a Life

"No."

Grim shook Immy's dead body, as if it would wake her up. Her vacant, cold stare continued on.

And her smile, god, she smiled when she died!

And why?

Why would she smile, why did she have to die, what was Grim going to do?

She's dead. She's dead, SHE'S DEAD, SHE'S DEAD, SHE'S DEAD AND YOU KILLED HER YOU MONSTER

MURDERER

MADMAN

TERROR

YOU SLAUGHTERED HER

YOU LOVED HER

YOU—

I loved her.

"No, no, no, NO, NO, NO—"

It didn't matter whether Sam heard him or the neighbors did and called the cops, he screamed. Nothing mattered, nothing could help, he was helpless, she was dead—

Out of the corner of his eye, Grim spotted him.

He started this.

He stabbed her.

If it wasn't for him...

It's all my fault.

But he's a monster all the same.

He tried to reclaim rationality. He's my assignment, He thought, and teleported behind him with adrenaline fueled accuracy. Still clutching Immy to his chest, he raised a hand to the back of Sam's neck, and his dead body crumpled to the ground.

What's next?

Report to HQ.

But Immy—

Not to report to Xen. I'll see Gabriel first, he's working late again. He should be working in Beezy's office, right?

Where do I go?

Where's private?

Vending machine room.

Closing his eyes, he scooped up Immy and begged fate for coworkers who weren't wanting a late night snack.

The bright florescents made Grim wince after being under moonlight. Luckily enough, no one was in the box-like room.

The drink and snack vending machines had a small gap in between them. He wondered if he could wedge Immy between them to go get Gabriel, but it was risky, and seemed too crude for her.

She deserves a garden,

and a marble tomb,

and flowers weaved into her hair—

The door clicked open, and before Grim could make a move, Gabriel was standing there, wallet in hand, eyes locked on Immy's smiling face.

"Gabriel," Grim uttered, his voice shaking.

"...She's gone, isn't she?" He whispered, one of his hands reaching up to cover his mouth. "Really gone?"

Grim nodded slowly.

"Xen's office," He commanded, walking to him and grabbing hold of his sleeve. "No one's there and the door's got a teleportation block. No one can get in but them after it's on."