34: Wilting Flowers

Tw: Substance Abuse/Panic Attack/Murder/Implied Rape

Reader Discretion Advised

~~~

The freezing Exustus weather bit at Grim's face, making him wish he had something to cover it with. His robe's hood was up, per tradition when a hunt reaping was in order. It offered him a bit of warmth, but not much. He couldn't wait for the whiskey he'd consumed before leaving his house to kick in and heat him up.

Immy was standing across from him, snow getting stuck to her hair and lashes. Her nose and cheeks were red, and Grim was sure she would catch a cold if they lingered outside for very much longer.

She sniffed.

"Welcome to Arkansas winter," She laughed. "I'd hate to be the one hunting a man down in this."

"I know," Grim responded. "Lucky me~" He shot her a tired grin.

"Don't turn into a skelepop."

He snickered. "I won't.

"Don't get hurt, either."

"No one here can hurt me, Immy," He reassured her. "Except maybe you, of course."

"Not in a fight!"

"If you'd talk long enough, I'd drop to my knees." He laughed. "The Immy charm beats reaper magic."

"I wish."

"Right?" He agreed.

"Grim," Immy sighed, holding out her gloved hands. Grim took them in his. "Be careful still, okay?"

"Of course, Immy. I'm more worried about you, here."

"I'll be fine," She giggled, nervousness sinking into her tone. "My dad has a firearm collection."

Although he just knew his efforts would be futile, he still began to beg for her safety. "Don't leave your house, Immy. No matter what, don't leave. Text and I'll come get you, okay? Don't—"

"—Of course, Grim. I'll be okay." She squeezed his hands and looked back at her parents' house. "...What do I say to them? 'Uh, hey, sorry for disappearing haha, will you give me food? I'm not dead, I promise.'"

"It'll be okay," He told her. "You're gonna go up to that porch, knock, and they will see you through the peephole and start crying. Everything after that is all reunions and big hugs. Would you like that, Immy?"

He didn't know that would happen. He didn't know how she would die. Or when, or where, or...

He cut his thoughts off. Any further, and he wouldn't let her go.

She gulped and nodded. "Yes, I would."

"Good. I'll watch you go in, I can cloak myself in front of mortals."

"Okay."

Her hands slipped out of his.

"Wait, Immy—" He called.

She ducked her head and embraced him, as tightly as she could without getting herself killed. Grim hugged her back and savored the warmth.

He was frozen in place, terrified of getting carried away with her touch.

Oh, how he longed to kiss her and feel her hot breath on his face. He wanted to give her a proper goodbye.

I could give her one hell of a send off, He thought, flickers of passion shooting through his mind.