12: Fear and Lies

The Reaping Ceremony.

The passing of rights from reaper to reaper.

Grim didn't know what he got himself into.

Cassius Avenarius, the current reaper, looked down at the sea of people from the stage, obviously nervous.

The feeling's mutual. Grim thought to himself, shifting in his seat. His dad returned to the small round table Grim sat at, handing him a bottle of water.

"Anxious?" Mortuus asked, sitting down.

"Of course. I've been waiting for this for months!" Grim exclaimed. He took a sip of the cold water. "You'd be nervous too."

"Just know that I'll be proud of you either way. I know I always tell you to ace things and work hard- but you have worked hard. Don't be discouraged if things don't work out."

"You're just saying that 'cause you know I'm not gonna get it."

"No, I'm saying it because you worked super hard for this. I know you'll probably get it, but even if you don't-"

"-You'll still love me even if I fail. Which I probably will-"

"-Uh-uh. Shut it, bucko." His father responded, elbowing him. He craned his neck to look over Grim's shoulder. "Oh look, it's Gabriel."

Grim looked behind him and spotted Gabriel in the crowd. He waved to him.

Gabriel waved back and practically sprinted over to the two, grinning.

"Hey! Exited?" He asked, sitting himself in a chair as well.

"Yeah! Really nervous- but exited!" Grim replied, laughing awkwardly. "All seven of us have big shoes to fill."

Seven people had taken the reaping course that year, which was monumental considering how rarely anyone wanted the job.

How a reaper was chosen depended on the total points a reaping student got on all of their assessments. The student who had a score between 10 points or higher than the previous reaper's would get chosen. If two or more students qualified, the highest would be picked.

"We do, but we have a good group! I heard a rumor that someone got the highest score by a landslide, but I don't know who it is."

"Damnnn! I'm placing bets on either you or Dallas."

"Really? I'm flattered, but I think it's you."

"Awh! Don't jinx me, Gabriel."

"Of course not!" Gabriel knocked on the wooden table. "See? All that being said, I want a hug before you sell your soul."

"Before one of us sells our soul. What'd I say about jinxing?"

"Jeez! I'm just saying~"

Gabriel wrapped his arms around Grim, sighing.

"Hope you're wearing socks if we're gonna hug for this long-"

"-Gabriel!"

"What? Are you?"

Grim laughed and pulled away.

"Of course I am. The fuzzy cat ones, in fact-"

"Oh my god, of course you had to wear cat socks to a formal event."

"They're incredibly formal!"

"Shhhh-" Mortuus butted in. "I think it's starting!"