6: Regrets and Wishes

Perspective swap chapter!!

Thank Addi for this one!!!! This is Immy's perspective!

~~~

"Gotta go! You sure you'll be alright by yourself?"

Grim was calling across the living room to Immy, who was absorbed in a new book she had usurped from one of Grim's many shelves.

"I'm sure I'll manage! I know where everything is and such, I won't burn the house down."

"Alright. Make sure to lock the deadbolt!"

Grim pulled on his robe. In a flash of light, he was gone.

Immy stretched and went to lock the door. Grim had explained to her it was a "safety precaution" even if the void was a wasteland with barely anyone or thing in it.

She shivered. She still hated thinking of that terrible place. She had been stuck there for what had seemed to be a month, but her perception of time had been out of wack.

And why, of all places, did she have to go there? Boredom.

Immy had gotten bored and decided to open a portal to somewhere. Biggest. Mistake. Ever. It wasn't long before she realized she was stuck. The panicked realization was probably the worst thing she'd ever felt in her life.

...She couldn't help but worry about the others. The group of stragglers that seemed to be her. She'd stumbled across them and clung to them for about a week. They'd exchanged contact information in hopes they would be able to get out.

She knew that she basically abandoned them. She also knew their chances of getting out were slim to none.

She shook herself and sat back down, ridding her mind of the thought of them. She was safe now. She needed to worry about herself.

Immy sighed and got back to her book. A romance novel of course. The forbidden lovers trope, although used often, was her favorite.

There was something about the way they would always pine for each other with such passion and sorrow.

But their love could never be.

She hummed to herself contentedly and smiled. The best distraction from real problems is fake problems.

She read a couple more chapters and closed the book with a snap.

What else can I do?

Immy stood and pulled her phone from her pocket. Grim had given her the WiFi password, (Why did that work? She didn't know. Magic, maybe.) so she was able to check her social media.

She wished she could talk to her family. Tell them she was okay and to come get her and bring her home.

She couldn't. They wouldn't be able to find her if they tried. It wouldn't do anything except make them all more upset.

Her Instagram feed was flooded with pictures of her, captions begging people to look for her. She hated how many people were probably losing sleep over her. Addi? Dylan? Sam? Jimmy? They all had to be so worried. Some of them probably couldn't stand to lose her. Her close friends were all so amazing to her.

She missed them. A lot.

She had accepted a long time ago that she probably wouldn't see them again. It still hurt.

All she could really do though is distract herself from it. It's what she did best.

She shuddered and closed Insta. Not a good idea.

Immy rose to her feet and decided to wander. The house was relatively big, and she hadn't seen all of the rooms.

She walked to the hallway. She'd seen the kitchen and the bathroom. She wasn't planning on looking through Grim's room, for his sake.

At the end of the hall were a few photos. One of Grim and what Immy assumed to be his father, and one of his supposed father and a dark haired woman. His smile seemed much more genuine in the second. There was also a photo of Grim as a child, holding a certificate of some sort.

Well, he's just the embodiment of gifted kid burnout isn't he?

She chuckled to herself.

At the end of the hall there was also a washer and dryer.

Immy walked out of the hallway and up the stairs.

There was a bed in the main area, not enclosed by its own room. Probably for more guests.

She skipped her own room and the bathroom, heading straight for the door at the end of the hall. She hadn't been in that one at all.

She gently opened the door...

Inside was a small room with a desk at the end. Bookcases surrounded it, covering the walls.

A study?

She glanced around and stepped towards the desk. It was a mess of papers and books. More photos covered the walls. On a slightly cleared off spot, there was a letter.

An unfinished letter.

In neat, yet frantic handwriting, it read:

Dear Mx. Xen,

I acknowledge the fact I've made a mistake. I thought we already addressed this on the night of his inheritance of the reaper role. To answer your question, no. I do not think he'll quit. If I know my son, I know he would want to stay in this position despite his worry. Of course, I'm worried too. I've seen how he handles these things, and it's certainly not healthy. I'm just hoping and praying to the stars in the heavens that his worry keeps him from any accidents. I know how close he is with many people, and I hope that won't change.

I am also aware of how stubborn he can be, and that he won't forgive me for a while. Even if he never forgives me, I know that's my fault. Grim's going through a lot, and I get it. I just want the best for-

It cut off.

My god.

She ran through what she had just read in her head for a bit, trying to comprehend it.

His dad wanted him to continue the legacy, but he regretted it! He never got to express how sorry he was before he fucking died- what happened?

She didn't snoop again for awhile.

She went back downstairs to continue reading.

It's probably the only thing I can do at the moment that won't lead me to finding any more angsty-ass private shit.

After all, some things are supposed to be secret.

~~~

OMFG

I WROTE LITERALLY ALL OF THIS IN ONE NIGHT

EGO BOOST AM I RIGHT

LOVE YOU GUYS :D

-Alice/Craz <3