3: Necessary

Grim opened his eyes to see that he was lying on the floor, a purple blanket over him. He was confused at first, but then he recalled the night before.

Oh. Immy must have done this.

He stood, his limbs heavy with exhaustion. He shook himself, trying to gather his thoughts.

He walked out the cracked door, stretching and yawning.

"Morning, sunshine." Immy called from the couch, absorbed in the movie she put on.

"Can't believe you had Mean Girls on DVD."  She added, grinning.

"Of course, it's a classic!" Grim replied, opening his mouth wide in fake shock.

"Well yeah, but you just don't seem like the type to watch this sorta thing. I could see romance, maybe. But not Mean Girls."

"Well, excuse me for being cultured." He mocked.

He sat down beside her, keeping a little distance.

"How'd you sleep?" Immy asked.

"Good. Thanks for the blanket." Grim replied, smiling. "Shit, I never showed you the guest bedroom, did I?"

"Nope," Immy spoke. "I just slept here. It's actually kinda comfy."

"That's good! I'll show you the guest room later today." Grim said. "For now, how about breakfast?"

"YES."

...

Grim busted out laughing at how quickly Emmalyn had responded.

"Damn, you must be really enthusiastic about breakfast, huh?" Grim laughed, out of breath.

"Yup. Now, let's go!"

Immy grabbed the reaper's still gloved hand and pulled him to the kitchen, grinning.

Don't let go.

"What would you like? I mean I don't have a lot of options, but I'll try." Grim chuckled.

"Whatever works! I'm just hungry."

Grim opened the fridge and Immy let go of his hand. He searched it, finally coming across a carton of eggs.

"How do you like your eggs?" Grim asked. Please say scrambled.

"Scrambled!"

Thank the stars.

***

The eggs sizzled on the stove. Grim shifted and stirred them on the pan, barely paying attention to them.

Immy sat on a stool at the island, debating with Grim.

"All I'm saying is that Burger King burgers are more flavorful than McDonald's." Immy explained, laughing.

"No, McDonald's is way better! They're classic!"

"I don't care what's classic," Immy mocked. "You have the mindset of a child."

"Ugh! How dare you!" Grim scoffed jokingly. "And how old are you?"