31: Things have gone down...

Tw: Referenced Abuse/Substance Abuse/Alcoholism

Reader Discretion Advised

~~~

"Was this paint different?"

Immy pointed to the blue wall, turning to Grim.

"Um..." He laughed. "No? Maybe though, you tend to be right about these things."

She grinned in response—the response he was fishing for, he needed to ease some tension in the air—and Grim smiled back, sighing.

They were alone at the sushi place, sitting in a booth near the front.

"Don't get anxious," Immy soothed him, taking his hand and holding it from across the table. "They're coming. We've still got five minutes until six."

"I know," He breathed. "But Gabriel is always very punctual, and Lucy has a habit of bailing."

Immy nodded, stroking the back of his hand with her thumb. "It'll be okay, Grim. Taken your meds?"

Several times, actually. "Mhm."

"Good."

The bell at the door rang in announcement of a new customer. Grim held his breath and looked over Immy's shoulder.

"Just some old couple?" Immy asked, seeing his expression turn exasperated.

Grim laughed at the absurdity of her being right and nodded. He'd tell Gabriel later.

If he'll ever fucking show up, Grim added bitterly, but scolded himself for being so pessimistic.

"Damn," She laughed back.

"Told you, you're always right about this stuff."

"Drink your sake, maybe it'll loosen you up a little."

He obliged and sipped the sweet rice wine, hoping the same.

The door rang again and Grim didn't bother to look over. Since he didn't, Immy turned and looked past the seat. She waved.

When she turned back, her face had lit up. "They're here!"

Of course, it was the one time he didn't look. To his surprise, Immy quickly moved to his side of the table.

"What are you doing?" Grim hushed.

"Playing matchmaker."

He cackled. "More like homewrecker."

"Shh..."

They both laughed.

"Immy!" Lucy exclaimed, rushing to her side and embracing her tightly. "It's been so long!" She pulled away. She gasped. "Your arm—"

"Cast comes off tomorrow!"

"How are you? How's that sewing project—"

Immy shushed her quickly. She pulled her close and whispered in her ear. Lucy grinned widely and shot Grim a quick glance. "Forever unfinished. A shame."

Immy shook her head and laughed.

He didn't puzzle over the interaction for long.

Gabriel stood behind the two, and Grim assumed that he was waiting for Lucy's cue of which side she wanted to sit on. He made a face at him and smiled. Gabriel stuck his tongue out.

Luce slid into the booth to sit on the inside. Only then did he sit down.

Grim wanted to laugh at his caution, but the amount of care in his eyes discouraged him. Instead, he couldn't help but smile at Gabriel's demeanor.