23: The Eye of the Storm

Tw: Suicide/Referenced Self Harm/Referenced Alcoholism

Reader Discretion Advised

~~~

Grim couldn't remember when he woke up. It seemed like a long time ago, but he couldn't manage to form coherent thought yet. His head was pounding.

He stared at the tile of the bathroom floor, wishing he could slip back into a dreamless sleep. He had woken up and passed out several times, and it wasn't helping his confusion.

The air felt hot and humid, probably just due to Grim's fever. Could skeletons get fevers? He didn't know.

Sighing, he glanced to the clock. 4:28. Okay, I wasn't out for that long.

He glanced down and gasped in a breath. Glued to his side, Immy was out like a light. Her arms were wrapped around his waist, her face pressed into his arm. Her chest rose and fell steadily.

Grim exhaled, relieved. She's okay. It's alright.

Moving wasn't as appealing anymore.

Should I wake her up? He wondered. She had to have been worried.

Guilt clawed at his mind.

Dammit.

"Hey," He whispered, his voice hoarse. "...Immy."

"Mmm..." She murmured. "What?"

He reconsidered, hearing her faint, contented voice.

"...Wake up."

"Is it Monday?"

"It's Sunday, and I'm not one of your parents."

That was what finally got her. She gasped and pulled away, rubbing her eyes.

"Grim! You're finally awake- I almost thought immortals could die, there for a minute," She sighed. "What happened? I already called you out of work, don't worry."

Grim startled at her sudden energy.

"I can totally still go to work, I've got time."

"Wait- did you say it was Sunday?"

"Yes...? It's only four."

"In the morning, Grim."

"...I was out all day?"

"Yeah! I mean, if it's four now, It's been, like- nineteen hours."

"What?"

"Mhm. Leads me to my next question: What the hell happened? Alcohol poisoning? Food poisoning? It's gotta be something poisoning, because blacking out, foaming at the mouth, and occasional screaming are not symptoms of a stomach bug," She rambled. "Trust me, I looked it up. Like, a million times."

"Jesus Christ."

"I know! Please, answer me!"

Grim sighed.

"Well, the screaming was because of the nightmares and- uh, cracking," He explained. How the fuck do I explain drinking Purex? "Can we just say it was poisoning?"

Immy's face dropped.

"You did it on purpose," She stated.

"Eh-" Grim's voice trembled. "More or less."

"And that's why the laundry detergent is on the ground."

Grim didn't respond.

"...Was it planned?"