17: Antidote

Grim took a deep breath.

Oh god, He thought. Here it comes.

He sat down at a chair across from Xen.

They cleared their throat.

"So. Someone ratted you out," They declared. They took a long sip from their coffee mug.

Of course, Luke called my bluff.

I hope this means he didn't do anything.

"I guess so," Grim sighed.

"Do you have a decent excuse?" Xen asked.

"...No," Grim said. "No, I don't."

Xen paused. "Grim." Their expression was blank of emotion. "You're on thin ice already, y'know?"

"Yeah,"

"Then why'd you think this was a good idea?"

"I didn't."

"...Half the council wants you fired."

Grim's phantom heart hit the floor.

"What?"

"You heard me."

"Do they know?"

"I won't be telling them unless you give me another reason to."

"I swear I won't."

"...I've said it once, I'll say it again." Xen dropped their voice."Get your fucking act together."

Shocked, Grim nodded his head. "Yes, xir," He agreed.

"...Look- I'll spare you most of the lecture- I've got to deal with an unauthorized revival- but you're a good kid, Grim." Xen set their mug down and rested their hands on their desk. "I know you are. However, this is not okay."

Grim folded his hands together and put them in his lap.

"I gave you a pass, because I know you have the strength to move on. You were dealt a bad hand, I get it. Do something different. Find a better coping mechanism," They continued on. "Give me the bottle, and I won't give any repercussions."

"...Give me two minutes,"

***

Grim proceeded out of Xen's office, feeling sick to his stomach. He approached the front desk.

"There you are! What'd they want you for?" Gabriel asked, spinning his seat to look towards Grim.

"I'll tell you later," Grim mumbled. "Where's Vix?"

"Assignment."

Vix teleported in with a little boy. She sighed in relief upon seeing Grim and turned to Gabriel.

"Finley Leer. Age 9, drowned," She stated. Looking back at Grim, she smiled. "Thank the stars you're here. It's been chaotic today."

"Great," Grim sighed. "I'm so sorry I'm late."

"No, It's okay!" Vix exclaimed. "Xen wanted you, I get it."

Fiddling with her watch, she muttered something to herself.

"And... done," Vix sighed. "Good luck, Grim."

"Thanks, you too." Grim swore internally for saying 'you too' as he watched her walk out the door and up the stairs.

The day followed per usual, but he felt... odd. He kept trailing off during sentences. His eyes passed shifty glances and his legs were weak. There was a weight on his back he couldn't shake off, a cold breath on the back of his neck.