1: Two Problems

Note if you're revisiting: this chapter has been rewritten, I really hated it before. It's much better now. Enjoy!

~~~

This story cannot be rewritten.

The past cannot be changed, nor can fate.

The only thing one can change is oneself.

"Pfff- fuck that."

Grim tore out the notebook page and threw it at his bedroom wall, groaning.

He decided he wanted to write an 'inspirational' poem for once. It didn't work out well.

I think I might've plagiarized something, anyway. Stupid senior philosophy class. He thought, gazing at the crumpled paper. Guilt flashed through his mind. He sighed.

If only dad could see me now. He wallowed. Drowning in anger.

"Tch. The hell."

He got up and picked up the paper.

Sticking the poem in his pocket, he exited his room.

I need to get out of this goddamn house.

Once he got to the kitchen, he opened his fridge and scanned it. It was almost barren.

He sighed.

Well, that was one reason to leave.

Grim pulled on his gloves and coat. He zipped the coat up, hoping to look at least slightly presentable.

After all, his reputation in the afterlife was already damaged.

He took a deep breath. In a flash of light, he was in a crowded building.

He looked around, confused. Looking up, there was sunlight shining through a dome of stained glass.

Shit- HQ. He panicked, recognizing his workplace. He overshot his destination.

He pulled his hood over his skull and attempted to teleport again.

Stairs appeared below his feet. He stumbled and almost fell before bracing himself on the railing.

"Jesus."  He muttered. His surroundings looked familiar, but he couldn't tell why.

He carefully walked down the steps. There was a sign above his head he hadn't noticed before.

SOUL MANAGEMENT BRANCH

Oh my god. Of course he recognized it. It was his branch.

He turned around and bolted up the stairs, too tired to teleport again. He was stopped by a voice from behind.

"Grim Skeleton? Is that you?" It was his boss's voice.

Grim sighed in defeat and spun on his heel.

"Hello, Mx. Xen! Um- I was just leaving." He laughed awkwardly.