17| The Crone Massacre

It was an unusually chilly Texas night and Winnie felt the cold through her light denim jacket as she stood in front of the Finley Cinema Movie Theater. She twisted her gold bracelet up and down her arm, her long chocolate hair thrown over her shoulder.

Adam approached his friend, hands shoved into the pockets of his jeans.

"Hey." He glanced down at the pretty red dress she was wearing. "You look nice."

"Thanks," she muttered. "So do you."

An awkward silence set in and both of them self-consciously careened away from the other. They shuffled towards the line forming near the theater entrance. Adam turned to look behind him and found himself catching the eye of a redheaded girl. She looked away hurriedly, a slight blush highlighting her freckled cheekbones and Adam frowned, nudging Winnie.

"See that red-haired girl?" He nodded towards her nonchalantly. "She and the girl with the glasses keep showing up everywhere."

Winnie looked over at the girl, who was now talking with animated expressions to a small-looking girl in a pair thickly-rimmed glasses, not unlike Adam's. Her brow furrowed in thought.

"I've noticed them around. They go to our school."

"That's not what I mean..." Adam bit his lip, but gave up the conversation as they approached the front of the line.

"What'll it be, sugars?" The lady asked the platonic couple kindly, her mouth a lipstick smeared smile.

"Two for Academy Career, please." Winnie leaned toward the woman, her own smile slightly smaller.

Adam fished a five from his back pocket and handed it over. Winnie pulled a wrinkled note from her purse and smoothed it out before letting the lady take it. She handed them their tickets and waved them on.

"Have a nice time," she called as they entered the building. Adam heard the red-haired girl speak as they walked away: "Two for The Crone Massacre."

But before he could turn to look at her, or even say anything. Winnie tugged him towards the food court.

"Popcorn?" Adam suggested. "I'll buy."

"I've got drinks then," Winnie offered. She handed him her ticket. "Hold this for me." Together they stepped towards the counter to order. Adam stuck the tickets into his back pocket so he could pay for the popcorn.

"Have you seen Academy Career?"

Adam shrugged. "Nah. I heard it's hilarious though. Should be a laugh."

They each took a bucket of popcorn and their soft drink, walking towards the usher.

"Tickets please." He held his hand out and Adam handed over their tickets. The usher glanced at them with something like pity, giving them a shrug. "Theater 3. Enjoy your movie."

They walked towards Theater 3. It was mostly abandoned except for a few people dotted here and there. They chose a pair of middle seats and settled back.

"Did you see the weird look that usher gave us?" Winnie asked, taking a handful of popcorn.

"Yeah," Adam rolled his eyes. "This movie probably sucks and he feels bad for us."

Winnie laughed, but the lights dimmed and she quieted. The commercials started playing.

The opening scene panned out and Adam felt a chill run down his spine.

Something isn't right, he thought.

"Are you sure we're in the right theater?" He whispered. Winnie looked at him with wide eyes.

"Why wouldn't we be?" She whispered back.

"I don't know..."

Intensely horrific music blared from the speakers and both of them jumped. A face appeared on screen, highlighted in red. Adam couldn't help but grip the arms of his seat.

"We're in the wrong theater." He groaned. "Winnie, I think we're watching The Crone Massacre."

He was right. The opening scene featured a gruesome murder.

Adam felt nauseated and wished he hadn't eaten any popcorn.

"Do you want to leave?" Winnie asked when she had noticed his pale features.

"No." He felt his toes curl. "It's fine. Whatever." The door on screen slammed open and the crone jumped out from behind it, her mouth open in a ghostly shriek.

Someone gave a girly, high-pitched scream from the audience, and it was only until after Winnie gave him a look that Adam realized it had been him. In his terror he had reached for her arm, which he had clutched tightly between both of his large hands.

"Are you sure you don't want to leave?" She asked, a slight laugh in her tone.

"I said I'm fine," he mumbled, forcing himself to let go of her. "Fear is just a trivial response to adrenaline we don't know where to place."

A spray of blood splattered across the screen and Adam wretched.

"Hey," Winnie took his hand. "I'm serious. We can leave."

He closed his eyes. "I th-think I'm fine."

"Just focus on me." Her hand was warm against his and he let that feeling spread through his fingers. "See? Not so bad."

"Yeah." Her skin was soft and her voice was soothing. He ignored the vicious ripping noises coming from the movie speakers and let his shaking hand tighten around hers.

Not so bad.

• • • • •

"I feel like I need to make this up to you." Adam ran a hand through his hair and looked guiltily at Winnie. She shrugged it off with a smile. They were walking to her house from the movie theater.

"You don't need to."

"No, I do. This was a bad date."

Her eyes were dark as she looked at him. "What did you have in mind?"

He frowned. "I don't know. I'll think of something."

Winnie giggled and let her hand run down his arm. "I'll see you tomorrow Adam."

"Bye, Win."

• • • • •

Cameron and Toby were sitting in the movie theater, watching Academy Career.

"You're evil." Cameron muttered, a smile twitching at her lips.

"It was your idea to switch the tickets." Toby hissed.

"Yes, but you were the one who pick-pocketed them." C shook her head in admiration. "Right from his back pocket... That takes skill."

"Thank you." Toby couldn't help the triumphant smirk that momentarily crossed her features. "Let's hope we haven't altered anything in a negative way."

Cameron shook her head. "I think we'll be fine."