Silver linings

📚

As the car comes to a stop, Max and Ray get out walking straight into the lobby. Nicholas takes his sweet time for some reason and waits patiently by the open door, seemingly waiting for me to step out.

"You know you don't have to open doors for me anymore right?" I watch as he sighs, leaning onto it even though I've stepped through.

"As long as I have arms Mia, they'll carry on opening every door you come across" he says hovering over me a lot closer than I would've liked. I stay stuck, unable to move from the floors held grip until Himiko yelling out his name does it for me. I blink, my eyes fluttering a sense of a reality check for the whole of me and so I take a step back, yet his eyes instantly follow my distancing like he has a new sprung of hatred for space itself.

"Goodnight, Nicholas" I whisper gently so that only we could hear. He swallows hard and I watch as he stops his head from shaking a no, looking down at the floor instead as his arm tightens at the door he's still holding onto, more so to pour out all that he's not saying right now it seem. I walk ahead just in time as Himiko runs past me and into his arms I'm guessing, I wouldn't exactly know because I never did turn around, it's not my business, he's not my business anymore.

"So you're on speaking turns with Mr grumpy?" I smile nearing Max as he waits for me by the elevator

"It's more complicated than that but yes, I realised ignoring him was only doing more damage to me"

His eyebrows dip in confusion.

"We have a past, there's no denying that or even attempting to run away from it so by coming to an understanding with myself I can let that part of my life go. I can let him go" I nod, squeezing my hands tightly into a fist because I'm losing it. I want to turn around, for what I don't know because if I see him I'll just witness the love he once had for me pour into her so what the hell am I thinking, what's wrong with me.

"Mia-"

"The next words that are about to come out of your mouth better be nothing short of support. Don't confuse me Max, not with him, not now"

He shuts his mouth in a thin line nodding down at the floor. With his hands in his pockets he steps onto the elevator and I join him pressing for my floor.

"I do support you, you know. And if you believe entirely that it's the right move then who am I to say anything"

He, unlike everyone else actually takes in what I ask of him and it's only partially why I love him.

"Thank you Max, oh and did Will land safely?"

"Yeah he texted me before you guys got in the car, he said things back home are rising in every bad way"

"I don't get why he had to send Will back though"

He smiles "Will is the type of person to get anything he wants, why else do you think Bane keeps him so close?"

"Favouritism?" I tease but he just shakes his head.

"Goodnight princess" he says fed up yet a smile is plasters wide across his face.

The elevator dings to a stop and I get off not turning back to him.

"Good night Max"

I walk away to my room and the second I see the bed I fall into it completely devoted on drowning in its warmth. I need a shower though, a long one too by the feeling of things.

-Nicholas-

"Bane!!" Something shrieks and I have to hold myself together to not step out onto the road. She runs into me to which I easily avoid by moving to the side. Avoiding her is easy, avoiding her skin has become something of a second nature to me. I'm simply allergic to her. I watch as Mia turns the corner, I take in her backless dress like a starving man and I am, a starving, dying man that is.