Chapter Thirty-Four - Flight

With a clatter the handcuffs fell to the floor as Hector dematerialised in a beautiful twinkling of dust, its particles tinged with a pearlescent blue that glittered under the lights.

"Blood!" exclaimed Xander, moving into the dust and driving his hands through it in an attempt to contain it, but only managing to disperse it further.

The smoke began to twirl, faster and faster, circling round them like a tornado, and Xander, Cecily and Virgil span round and round, watching it, helpless to stop it.

"What's he doing?" asked Virgil, rotating as he watched the concentrated mass of glitter.

Selene was quiet. She knew, without doubt, what he was going to do, because he had done it before. She didn't move at all as the smoke began to swarm about her in ever-tightening circles, growing up from teh floor around her feet, until she stood concealed within a spiralling column.

"Selene!"

She heard their voices, their distress, on the other side, and saw them try to reach out to her, but recoiling from the heat that Hector's body created in its smoking form.

She stood in the middle of the blaze, feeling his heat all around her, and then, as before, she became dizzy and was sure she would faint, the blood rocketing through her body to her head, which pounded, ready to explode.

And then she was thrown to the other side of the room, against the wall by the door. But she didn't feel any pain, cushioned as she was by the thick smoke, which suddenly vanished, condensing before her into Hector's physical form.

He stood with his back to her, facing the others.

"I'm taking her. There's nothing you can do for her now."

"No!" shouted Xander, trying to rush against Hector, but Virgil pulled him back.

"He's the only one who can help her, Xander. Let go," he said, the muscles in his arms straining against Xander's strength.

"You are of no use to humanity here, boy," said Hector, smiling as he watched Xander groan as he fought against Virgil's body. "Go. Save yourselves and your army. Do whatever it is you are fated to do. But Selene comes with me."

"What will you do to her?" Xander shouted, his curly dark hair thrashing about his face as he struggled. His arms pushed, digging into Virgil's, who still held him tight.

"Save her life. But I won't save it for you," said Hector, spreading his arms wide to protect Selene, to ensure no one else could touch her.

"Let me go, Virgil. Let go of me," Xander shouted, his voice breaking with the effort, his limbs slowing down.

As he became still, Virgil released his grip and allowed the smaller man to step away, and to stand face to face with Hector.

"If you hurt her -"

Xander's eyes gleamed, rimmed with the threat of his words.

"I have no intention of harming her; but if I have to hurt her to save her, I will." Hector glared with an equal determination, and stretched his arm out in front with his palm facing Xander, warning him not to come closer.

"I can't let you take her," said Xander.

"Stop acting like a child," growled Hector. "If you don't let me take her, she'll die. I know what I'm doing. Trust me."

Once more, Virgil stepped forward and put his arm on Xander's shoulder, reminding him to stay in control.

"I need clothes for her. The nightgown is not practical," said Hector.