The talk

"Mom, we need to talk," I said. I had a lump in my throat when I said it. We were sitting at the kitchen table eating our breakfast. Sara was already in the stables, so it was just me, mom and Wille there. Wille looked at me with encouraging eyes, wanting me to tell her. I would. I understood why he was worried about me. But I did not want anyone to worry about me. Not mom. She had worried so much already. I just wanted her to finally be happy.

"Okay, mi amor," mom replied. "What's up?"

"You know Lottie's son Marcus?" I began. Mom nodded.

"What about him, love?" she asked. "You can tell me anything. You know that."

"He sexually harassed me," I said. I looked down at the table. It hurt too much to meet her eyes. And even if I knew it was not my fault, I felt ashamed anyways. I knew I did not have to feel that way, but I did. And I hated it. I felt tears falling down my cheeks. Mom hugged me and took my hand in hers.

"I am so sorry that happened to you," she said. "It was not your fault mi hijo." I cried against her shirt. Sobbed. I never did usually. But I guessed I had been strong for everyone else for too long. I had not taken care of my own feelings for a long while. I had just bottled everything up. Until now when everything just fell apart.

"Do you want me to help you report him to the police or contact someone so that you can talk to a professional about this?" mom offered. I looked at Wille, who had a serious facial expression.

"Yeah," I replied. Wille would have answered it for me if I didn't do it myself. I knew him well enough to know that. "At least someone to talk to. I don't know if reporting him will lead anywhere." Mom nodded.

"I think it could be good. You have been through some stuff this school year, haven't you?" she replied. "And so have you, Wilhelm. Do you have someone to talk to? Someone that supports you?" She looked over at Wille. He smiled a little. He did not. Well he talked to Erik about things, but Erik was not a therapist. He shook his head.

"But I am alright," he said. "I have you guys." Wilhelm was stubborn about me getting therapy, but also wanted to handle things on his own.

"Promise me you ask for help when you need it, Wilhelm," mom said. "I understand that you are raised with keeping things private and keeping it in. But it is okay to ask for help. There are people that can help."

" I promise, Linda," he replied.

"Can you promise me that too?" I asked him. "You were after all the one who made me tell mom. So you now owe me that you take care of yourself too." He giggled. I let go of mom and turned to him. Embraced him. Felt his warm body against mine.

"Why is that, baby?" he whispered in my ear.

"Because I fucking love you," I said out loud.

"I love you too," he replied. "I promise you, darling." He was so cute I could not resist him anymore. I had to kiss him. So I did. Mom just laughed and turned to do the dishes and acted as if her teenage son did not snog the prince of Sweden in her kitchen. That was ordinary by now. And if I could decide, it would be for a long time into the future.

*********

"So Simon, your mother called me and told me you needed someone to talk to. What do you want to talk about today?" Boris asked me. I was sitting in one of the armchairs in his office. "Remember that anything you say here is confidential between you and me. And there is no shame to say whatever you feel. I don't judge. I just want to help you with what you need to figure out." I nodded. I knew he could not tell anyone about our sessions. They had professional secrecy or whatever.