His return

(Wilhelm's perspective)

It took a week until August returned to Hillerska. He came in the middle of breakfast. He saw me and Simon right away. I sighed.

"Well, well, well. Look who has moved back into our dining room while I have been gone, boys," he said with a huge grin. The other boys looked at him. "When the cat's away, the mice will play, I see." He walked up behind me and Simon and held his arms around us. He kept on by insulting Simon, like he usually did. And insulting Simon was to insult me. I had chosen him. And August knew that. He knew that I loved Simon.

"August shut up," Vincent said.

"And why would I do that, huh?" August asked. "Have they made you turn against me while I have been gone, or what?"

"They saved your fucking life, and you still treat them like shit. What is wrong with you?" Nils said. I looked at them. Were they standing up for us, for real?

"But Simon is still a nobody," August replied.

"Without Simon, you would not even be here. He saved your life. He despises you, but still he decided to save you. And still you treat him like this? You are fucking pathetic August," I said. I raised my voice at him and pushed him away from us.

"And how did he know what to do? Hanging out with dealers and addicts, I suppose," he replied. He did not know when to stop, apparently.

"The only addict I know is you. Don't make me regret I saved you," Simon replied. He was angry now. I felt how he held himself back, to not go after August. With Simon's past, August's words hit even harder I supposed. His father was an alcoholic and an addict. But they had not been in contact for a long time.

"No one can save me," August said and left the room. He was angry. I wondered what he meant by that. That no one could save him.

"Just tell us if he bothers you again. He is being unreasonable," Vincent said.

"No Vincent, he is a bully who wants everyone to pity him. That is what's up. He has treated us all like shit because he feels so bad himself. For the past two and a half years. And I am so fucking tired of it," Nils said. "But like Vincent says, we will have your back."

"That is not how you treated me this last semester," Simon said. He had a hard time trusting them. And I understood why. When I transferred to Hillerska no one had been nice to him, except Sara. I was the first person to give him a chance. Just like he had given me a chance. A chance to be who I really was on the inside. Not just an imperfectly perfect facade.

"And we are sorry, Simon. August has ruled this school for far too long, but it is over now," Vincent said. "We have been cowards, and we know that. I hope you can forgive us for what we have done."

"Well if I can save my worst enemy from dying, I guess that I can give you one second chance too," he said. "But that is one chance. If you screw up I will go back to not trusting you at all. Just so you know." The boys nodded. Maybe they found him harsh, but I understood why he had to be. He risked being hurt by them again. And being hurt by someone you trusted was way worse than if you did not.