Prologue

Obito had thought he had been the luckiest boy in the world.

He and Rin found each other early and became pack mates at a very young age. They were best friends, inseparable, and knew each other like the back of their hands. And even better, Obito had found his mate at a young age! Well, Rin did, but it still counted. Okay, his mate was a know-it-all asshole who was too smug for his own good, and should have been born an Uchiha for all the smugness he produced. But Kakashi was cute, in his own tiny, bossy way. So while Obito argued with the jerk a lot, he loved him anyway. The Omega was his mate after all, he had known that the first time their eyes had met.

People are born with their secondary gender already within them, but they don't awaken their other half until they met their mate, and even then they still aren't officially an adult. No, they had to wait for their rut or heat, if they were an Alpha or Omega.

Aunt Mikoto had told him how she felt when she met Fugaku for the first time at twelve years old. The moment she had met his eyes her Omega stirred from her slumber and cried in joy, demanding they kiss Fugaku. Fugaku of course tried to kiss her, lost in his Alpha, but before either of them could, Aunt Mikoto's red headed team mate booted Fugaku into next week.

Aunt Mikoto ended up laughing at her poor mate even as she helped him out of a wall.

The same thing happened to Obito.

Minus the being kicked into a wall. He was very glad that didn't happen.

His Alpha had yelled in delight when they met Kakashi properly, calling for 'their Omega'. Obito's ears had ached at how loud his Alpha was.

Rin had been smug for weeks.

She had been the one to set up the 'play date' of kick the can after all. The Beta had somehow known that he and Kakashi were mates.

Rin was beautiful and clever in every way, and had been the one to bring them together. Obito loved her for that. She always held a special place in his heart for finding his mate so early in his life. He vowed to find her mate for her in return.

Obito was a lucky Alpha.

Obito had been a mad, excitable thing all day long after he had met Kakashi. The six year old had talked everyone in the Clan's ears off about how cute and tiny his four year old mate was, bouncing around, laughing and beaming wildly.

Obito had even ran to where he knew his Aunt Mikoto was reuniting with her team mates. Her red headed friend had been there, along with their sensei. Obito couldn't recall who their last team mate was. He had never met them in fact, and when Obito finally asked, Aunt Mikoto grew sad and distant, while Fugaku grew angry. The Alpha had hugged Mikoto close, after slapping the back of Obito's head roughly.

Obito never asked again.

When he told his aunt about his mate she had cooed and pinched his cheek, teasing him relentlessly. Her friend and teammate Kushina happily joined in. Kushina was so annoying, but luckily Obito rarely had to deal with her.

Their Sensei, the Legendary White Fang, (who always made Obito squeal in delight, because by Kami it was the White Fang of Konoha,) looked amused the entire time he described his mate, his grumpy Omega. Obito had completely missed the knowing looks that passed between the three of teammates, far too absorbed in his own excitement.

Obito was a lucky Alpha.

Except it all went wrong one day when Kakashi disappeared from school. It took a week for him to come back and he had grown cold and distant.

Suddenly Kakashi didn't want him around anymore, nor Rin, despite how much fun they had playing and training together. Kakashi ruthlessly completed his school work and left them behind in the dust, graduating from school to become a Genin at five.