Chapter 53: Kissin' in the Rain

When Sonny and Maddy had returned to the house, hand in hand and one torch on, everybody had already seated themselves at the dining table. There were two spots left for them right next to each other at the table which had been extended with a long portable picnic table.

Sonny dropped Maddy's hand at the door, placed the torch on the kitchen island, which was just a foot away from the table, and took one of the remaining seats as if nothing had happened. Maddy slowly took the seat to Sonny's right, confused about the state of their relationship.

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!

There was no awkward "oh, do we have to sit together??" OR ANYTHING!!

Yeah, it's so unclear

What?

She even held your hand as if she was pulling you out of the woods instead of holding you lovingly

I'm pretty she was helping you and not letting you fall.

No she wasn't

She didn't even smile

We couldn't see anything in the dark!!

So??

What do you think?

...i don't know

The dinner started out uncomfortably but halfway the dead air was filled by laughter and lame jokes and mockery. Maddy's eyes were on Sonny most of the time, but Sonny didn't look back at Maddy much. Sonny's mood had immediately picked up with the others', she quickly joined in for the friendly teasings. Maddy took longer and began smiling only after she was hypnotized by her love's smile and clever words.

By the end of the night everyone cleared their plates, finished their wine glasses and sodas cans and left one after the other until only the lawyer, the Rosenbergs and the Perezs were left. After a boisterous laugh shared by everyone except Maddy and Becca simmered down, Mr. Ray noticed the tension between Sonny and Maddy even though they were on opposite sides of the living room.

Mr. Ray grabbed his tie and his briefcase stuffed like a turkey with papers and stood up to announce, "Well, that's enough of Mr. Lawyer for the night. I'll see you all tomorrow morning."

They all waved him goodbye and Sam gently closed the door behind him.

They all sat back down in their respective places with a sigh, some on the couch and some on the added chairs. Everyone then looked at Sonny and Maddy. Gina took the first step and asked, "So what happened between you guys?"

There was no answer, they looked at Maddy who shook her head and looked at Sonny. With everybody's eyes on her, Sonny just shrugged.

They all groaned. "Oh god..." "Mi dios.." "Jesus...." "Oof."

Paul turned for the clock, the time was 11:52pm. "You know what, stay for the night Sonia. There's no need to drive back in the middle night. We have a couple of extra beds and you can have breakfast and leave tomorrow morning."

"Oh no," Mrs. Perez replied, "We can't trouble you. You have to go to the court in the morning! It's just a 15 minutes drive."

"A lot can happen in 15 minutes," he replied gravely.

Gina gave a short glare to her husband, 'Don't say that!'

He shrugged, 'Well, it's true and she knows.'