Chapter 34: Into the Woods

Maddy changed into the pink crop top and denim shorts she'd worn earlier and got her bag of clothes quickly and got out of the lockers to see Teddy on the floor with her mobile in hand.

Teddy jumped up and said, "He reached. Let's go?"

"Yup."

"Can I say bye to Cassie?"

"Uh.. why?"

"Won't she feel bad otherwise?"

Maddy shot her a suspicious look.

Teddy rolled her eyes at the greenie Maddy was turning into. "Isn't she a friend of mine now? I don't want her to feel bad because of me."

"..Okay. Tell her we're leaving," Maddy said, pointing at the door with her thumb, while the suspicion took root.

Teddy poked her head through the door and saw Cassie at her locker. "Bye Cassie!"

Everyone looked at her with the same expression as when she entered the studio, but this time Cassie was also stumped. Did Teddy just say bye to me? Maddy's gonna kill her.

Seeing everyone look at her, Teddy said, "Bye guys!"

Cassie and everybody else eased their faces into smiles and said, in a chorus, "Bye Sonia!"

Teddy pulled her head back out and took Maddy's hand. "Now let's go," she said, smiling.

Maddy smiled a tight-lipped smile and walked along, doubts blooming on the back of her head. Is she really that innocent? Does she know what she's doing or is she that... oblivious? Why would she? She only likes me, she's just very sweet. What if she's playing me? Why would she though? It's not like she and Nate are friends or anything.

What if he actually came to my house for her and not me? What if he is actually in love with her and went to her house? But she was not there and they told she's with me, so pretended to come home for me. What if they planned it from a very long time? What if it's Nate's arm she broke and not Jake's? What if she loves him, and not me?

What am I doing? Why am I being so weird??? Lol.

What if she only sees me as a friend and is pretending that she likes me as well? What if all the kisses, holding hands and hugs were all just a way to keep up the charade? What if she's taking me to him right now?

The sun's warmth on stepping out of the cold prison of a school pulled her out of her head. Teddy's blue car was in view along with the silhouette of a guy in an orange shirt, he was doing a little dance to the song playing on the radio in the driver's seat. Maddy was amused enough for her doubts to pass out of view.

As they approached the car, Teddy asked, "Where do you wanna sit? In the front or the back?"

"Definitely in the back."

"And... can I sit with you? Or would it be uncomfortable since you're sweaty?"

"I'm not sweaty," she claimed defensively. "You can sit with me."

Teddy grinned. "Okay."

Teddy opened the back door for Maddy who jumped to the middle seat.

Teddy got in, closed the door and introduced Sam. "Maddy, this is my oldest brother, Sam. He's the best mechanic in town but called in sick today just because he wanted to."

Sam turned around from his hip up, held out his left hand to shake Maddy's hand. "It isn't wrong to prioritize your mental health," he said nonchalantly.

Maddy smiled and shook his hand. She softly said, "Hi, I'm Maddy."

"Obviously. Sonny hasn't gone around making heart eyes at anybody else for the past two weeks."