Chapter 27: The News Ain't Out Yet

Monday was completely uneventful for everyone except the new lovers. They were consistently smiling and blushing at the bare mention or sighting of each other in the hallway. Needless to say, the biology class was unbearable to Evie and Mr. Ramirez while Joel walked took a trip through his honeymoon period. 

On Tuesday Maddy asked if both of their friends could sit together for lunch and Teddy asked her friends who agreed. They managed to get one of the bigger tables in the hall and all eleven of them comfortably settled there. Once the introductions and initial small talk were done, the friends of the new couple started teasing them without mercy.

Just as they were about to peak, a head landed on Teddy's shoulder. She got flinched and turned by a few degrees to see Rue. "Sonny. Aren't you one of my best friends?"

Rue's tone got everybody on their toes, they knew the deal of not letting the news out until Halloween. BB and the twins stared down each other before Teddy positively replied, "...I mean... we only talk once or twice every month. So.. maybe not best friend, but you're definitely one of my friends!"

"I only talk to my mom, sister, Lexi and Jules here more than twice every month, so you're definitely a best friend." Jules gave a short awkward wave to everyone who looked up at her.

Teddy tried to keep the charade on. "Well then, how can I help you bestie?"

"The thing is my detective skills, right? They're telling me that something's going on between you and Maddy. So wanna tell me what it is?" she asked, shamelessly bending from her skinny hips.

"Uh... we're friends?"

"Really?" Rue turned her head to Maddy, resting her left cheek on Teddy's shoulder, and asked, "Is that so Maddy?"

"Y-Yeah! We're good friends!" If Rue knows, everyone knows. ...I'll have to face him sooner.

"So you're just gonna claim the title of the second lesbian couple in East High just like that?"

"What? We're just friends," exclaimed Maddy and Teddy in unison, slightly loud for the ears of the nearby folk. EVERYONE KNOWS!

Rue stood up straight and gestured for Melissa to scoot over for both her and Jules. Rue sat next to Teddy and she said, "Don't fake it, we know."

Jules sat on the bench between Rue and Melissa, making everyone uncomfortable. "Who knows?" asked Teddy firmly but softly enough for only everyone at the table to hear.

"Me and Jules. Everybody ain't as smart as us."

"Huh..." said Teddy before looking at Maddy. Teddy slightly lifted an eyebrow, 'What do you say?' Maddy shrugged, 'It's ok.'

Maddy leaned forward to get a look at Rue and whispered calmly, "You won't tell anyone right?"

"Your secret's safe with us," Jules said beating Rue to it. Everyone looked at Rue expectantly and she added, "What she said."

Everyone exhaled the breath they didn't know they had held.

Then Rue asked casually, "So when did it start?"

Slowly Teddy started filling them in with the interrupting one-liners from their friends that she could always count on. Then they discussed Halloween costumes till the bell rang.

*****

The rest of the weekdays passed quite uneventfully. Teddy and Maddy roamed the halls with the glow of being in love. Losing attention in classes turned out to be a constant to Teddy's surprise and she prepared herself to hear her parents' lectures, she couldn't care less. She told herself that if she could survive the chiding for cutting the hair her mother heavily invested in, without permission, she could most definitely survive a few parent-teacher calls.