Chapter 7: Hypnotizing You

Sonia took a seat at the table where three of her friends sat while two of them, the ones with her in Bio: Evie and Joel, followed her as they giggled and teased her. The three at the table asked what happened. Sonia, annoyed by Joel and Evie who sat on either of her sides, refused to answer. Evie and Joel answered instead after taking a while to stop laughing.

Joel started, "Guess who came to Sonia today and asked her for help in Bio?" Sonia took a bite of the sandwich the cafeteria gave.

The three who were completely lost: Jake, Melissa and Tony, replied, "No, who?"

"Madeleine Perez," answered Evie with a huge grin. The name attracted a few nearby ears in. Disgusted by the sandwich, Sonia opened the yoghurt cup she brought from home.

"What..."

Evie added leaning in, "And... they were making googly eyes at each other the entire time." Jake started choking on his spit. Sonia rolled her eyes, swallowed a spoon of the berry yoghurt, kept the spoon in her mouth, got up and went over to Jake and pat his back till he stopped coughing while Melissa and Tony's mouths were ajar. This caught Maddy's eyes and she stared at her from across the hall while BB and Cassie snickered.

When Jake stopped coughing, Sonia pulled the spoon out and asked, "You alright bro?"

"Yeah. Are you?" he asked in disbelief. "Aren't you the same girl who said you'd never even imagine being rOMaNtIcALLy InvOLvEd with any of her people?"

Sonia went back to her place and said in a low volume, "Yeah well, things changed."

Melissa said in a regular volume, "So it's out of pity."

Sonia, whisper-scolded her, "Reduce your volume!", and then at everyone else at the table, "First of all, I don't know what the ever-loving fuck happened in lab okay? She was just charming, okay?"

"What's this, the 50s?" asked Tony, not having it.

"Well pretend that it is for a second! Second, I think that she did it to butter me into doing her homework for this year and, maybe the next." Evie and Joel were about to interrupt her, but she raised an index finger and continued, "I admit that it didn't occur to me when we were in the lab. I was under her spell and I have no shame for it, but I will not let myself fall under her charm next time. So please stop eating my head my dear dumbasses."

"Thank god you didn't actually fall for it."

"Yeah, you're welcome." Melissa and Jake chuckled.

"Well, all the best cause you're stuck with her in Bio for at least this month," said Evie shrugging.

"What do you mean?"

"Did you actually blackout Sonny?" asked Joel with an eyebrow raised.

"No..." she answered growing doubtful.

"Oh my God! She so did blackout," laughed Evie. "Get up, get up, get up," she said taking Joel's hand from behind Sonia. The two of them got up and put up a dramatic retelling of what happened after Bio class for their dear friends.

Joel bent by the knees to mock Maddy and the two of them made extra cringy googly eyes at each other. "Hey Sonny," said Joel, "Can I be your partner in Bio class?"

"Uhm yeah," said Evie scratching her head, "Why not? You can be my partner forever if you want too." Then they giggled like a bunch of kindergarteners and ended their performance by bursting out so loud to attract most of the hall's attention. They got back in their places beside Sonia like drunks still laughing and Sonia buried her face in her hands. She wanted to cry but she laughed because, even though her friends' jokes stung, Maddy's smile and eyes hurt more. Why am I even thinking about her??? She's not my type and neither am I, hers!

When she lifted her face, Mellissa, Tony and Jake were trying so hard to hide their laugh not only from Sonia but also everyone else in the hall who was eying them. Trying to stop grinning, she said, "Maddy isn't that short you fuckers. She's just an inch or two short."

Everybody started to go back to their shit. "That's what bothers you out of all of it?" asked Evie. "You don't care what will happen when Nate hears about this?"

"No. What's he gonna do, try to kill me? It's not like he's gonna get out of jail to do it."

"But his dad can do it," said Melissa, getting serious, "or get people to do it dumbass."

Sonia got more serious and said, "Well let me see them try."

"You need to get serious about this Sonia," said Jake.

"I am being serious. Let Nate try to hurt me, he needs his ass whooped anyway. Also, you guys are acting like Maddy would dare think about dating a loser like me. She must be trying to get me to do something for her and now that I know it, I won't do anything for her unless it's something she really needs help in. Don't worry."

"You sure?" asked Tony.

"Yeah. Don' worry."

"Seriously though, one day your kindness is going to take you to the grave," said Joel from her right.

"Well, it would be a favor. I won't have to see the shit of this world anymore."

They went about talking about other things while on the other side of the hall Maddy let Kat and Lexi in on everything and BB and Cassie tried to figure out what happened to make Sonia's friends laugh so much.

-------

AN: Thank you for reading this chapter! Please give it a vote if you liked it. Next chapter comes Wednesday and until then,

Toodles,

Persephone