"Are you going to say something or just stand there?"

He opened his mouth and then closed as he blinked several times before clearing his throat. "Sorry...I..." His face turned a light shade of pink as he fumbled for words, making me giggle in the process.

Closing the door behind him, he made his way across the room in a few strides, his eyes never leaving my face even for a second. The giggles tapered off when he stopped inches away, looking even more beautiful with his perfect features set in an expression of awe and appreciation.

"Mia... you are...you look...so beautiful...I mean, I don't think beautiful covers just how stunning-"

Aside from my blush deepening, I felt myself glow from within at his words, my ego enjoying a much-needed boost after being trampled upon for months. But as I listened to him fumble around for the right words, his eyes alight with genuine affection, my smile quickly faded when I realised that this would be the last day that I would spend with him. Why? Why did have to be like this?

"...I mean... you're always beautiful but tonight..."

My heart swelled with the most bittersweet feeling as I gazed at him. Liam had been there. Had always been there even when Thomas was not. He had consoled me when I was upset, distracted me when I was alone, cared for me when I was weak and had seen me at my worst and yet... he was here. Never a frown on his face or a harsh word on his lips, Liam cared when everyone else did not.

And I was going to lose him. Just like I had lost Sasha.

Unable to hold back anymore, I threw myself into his arms with my face against his chest as I drew him into a tight embrace. Emotions flared while tears brimmed my eyes as I thought back to the times we had spent together.

In the real world, Liam would have been the kind of guy that I would have dated. Everything felt natural when he was around. It came easy unlike my time with the brothers or my time with Thomas. For the longest time, I had accepted my sudden obsession with Thomas as some form of intense love but since I had learned about the accursed bond, I couldn't help but wonder if my feelings were genuine or just a by-product of some supernatural love charm.

Aside from that, there was also the fact that he was tied to his brothers and had to obey his Alpha who just so happened to be an egotistical maniac.

One complication after the next.

But with Liam, there were none. Except for the fact that I wasn't his mate.

"Mia?"

I worked it out - life, it seemed, was simply unfair. The tears fell as Liam stood stiff; his voice unsure as I held him close.

"Why?"

His arm snaked between us to cup my face and tilt it upwards. Even through my blurry vision, I could clearly make out the worried expression on his face.

"Why, what?"

I swallowed the ever-growing lump in my throat but in spite of that my voice came out strangled.

"Why was I mated to them... and not you?" If I had to be cursed with a bond, why couldn't it have been with him? It made perfect sense.

His eyes widened in shock but the gold in them glowed brighter as he stuttered and choked. "W-why...why would you ask that?"

"Because I wish it had been you"

Even though I had whispered those words, the sound felt like a blast in the room. The blue in his eyes disappeared as the gold took over, burning bright-hot like the sun. His hold on my face tightened but his thumb drew back and forth against my chin soothingly. "These are dangerous words Mia. Promise me that you won't ever repeat them...not to me...not to anyone..."