Sunburnt Back

This is completely separate from the main story. Not a strand of connection.

Why?

1. I'm bored.

2. My short stories book gets no love.

3. Writer's block. :/

Enjoy if you want.

Also, guess what my new obsession is.

Started an MHA fanfic if y'all are interested

Started an MHA fanfic if y'all are interested. Average chapter length is 5-7k words and I'm ten or so chapters in now. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Warning for the short story below: graphic violence
====================

><> Steve's POV <><

With one large gasp, I landed in the tall grass, immediately pulling my legs in closer to me so they were under the sunlight. Sweat doused my brow as my head shot up, staring over my shoulder.

There, the transparent immortal stood, begrudgingly glaring my way as though I had done something wrong for preserving my own life!

"This struggle of yours is useless, mortal." He commented. Even under the shadow of the dense forest, it was bright enough for his body stand there only as a ghostlike figure. I swallowed the spit in my mouth and shook my head, disagreeing. Every second of life was worth it. And hopefully I would find a way out of this entrapping forest...before night returned.

I dragged myself up to my feet and strode from one side of the sun-patch to the next. All the while, the immortal's blank, glowing eyes followed me. My right leg stung still with every limp. It was wrapped in bandages to cover for last night's injury. I had to make it to a doctor quick or risk getting an infection. I jumped again from one patch of sunlight to the next, this time landing on my feet properly. The immortal lurked behind me in the shadows, tracking my every step like a wolf waiting for that perfect moment... When the wounded lamb stumbles its last step.

Thankfully, it was just late morning... I still had time.

-------

"Ack!" I stumbled onto my back, just enough to dodge the swing of the immortal's razor-tipped claws. His hand completely vanished under the sunlight, and the immortal drew it back with a growl. His hand was completely normal again when it returned to view. My short hair stuck to the sides of my face. My beard, too, was doused in sweat. I was thirsty, tired, and baked under all this sun. My hunter showed no such signs. He only glared, both annoyed that I dare fight for my own life and at his own inability to simply exist under such light.

My teal shirt was stuck to my skin. Alrighty this was getting out of hand. Why did today of all days have to be so d### hot??

I took a break from all the walking to grab the bottom of my shirt and pull it up over my head, turning it inside out in the process. Carelessly, I tossed it aside and sighed a content sigh as I felt the air hit my exposed, sweaty skin. In my moment of bliss, my face rose upward to the sky and at last I smiled a little. At least I could enjoy these little moments on such a terrible day. The sun was directly overhead. Only half the day left to go. When my eyes dropped, I spotted in the corner of my view, the immortal. I shifted suddenly, posture lowering like a meek animal. The immortal only squinted at my exposed chest.