Chapter Twenty-Four

Mild Gore warning.
================

><><><>Almost a full 4 Years Ago<><><><

     "I SAID LIFT THOSE KNEES! LIFT 'EMM!!!" The commander of your squad spat in a fellow soldier's face. His gray hair was shaven to nearly bald. Badges of honor adorned his uniform. You were drenched in sweat. So was everyone else under the blazing sun. It was hard to picture yourself elsewhere anymore to help your mind and body stay put and escape mentally. You had just been doing this so much! For so long! Everyone jogged in place in rows, all wearing the same bleak dark green jumpsuits. Mud gripped at your boots. You could already feel the sun digging through your hair, roasting your scalp. It was hard to keep your breaths calm and steady. You were still somewhat new here, not quite ready to all of the cardio and exercise suddenly heaped onto your shoulders.

     The commander caught into your lagging, stiffly strutting your way with his hands tightly clasped behind his back. You saw the scowl in his eyes aimed directly at you and shivered. You tried to pick up the pace, jogging in the same spot beside the others, but to actually get your body to do as your mind wished was a complete nightmare.

     "SO YOU'RE THE RUNT OF THE LITTER, EH?!" Standing directly in front of you, the commander gave you what everyone called, some special one-on-one time.. Your eyes stared dead ahead, acting as though you didn't notice a thing. You had learned all too quickly that looking him in the eyes lead to more shouting and eventually even dried out tear ducts. "EH, I SUPPOSE YOU'RE SUPER VIRTUOUS TOO, 'UH?! ANSWER ME THIS TIME!"

     "No sir!" Still staring ahead, you jogged on in place, the Sargent stepping around you like a wolf studying its prey.

     "THEN STOP TREATING THE MILITARY LIKE YOU'RE IN A CHILDREN'S STORY, SOLDIER! YOU ALONE AREN'T GOING TO WIN THE WAR! NAHH! MAYBE YOU'LL GET TO BE IN THE PILE OF BODIES THE REAL HEROES STANDS ON WHEN VICTORY IS DECLARED, AND THAT'S IF YOU'RE LUCKY! YOU HEAR ME?!"

     "Yes si-r!"

"LIFT YOUR KNEES! HIGHER!!" He shouted directly into your left ear. Every muscle in your body was already stinging. Every bone aching. Every joint about to give out. Still, you tried, finding little success. You managed to lift your knees to about average, level with your hips. But clearly the commander wanted more. "AH- I BET YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE PACIFIST TYPES WHO BET A WAR CAN BE SOLVED WITH A FEW HUGS AND KISSES!"

     "No sir!"

     He ignored you. "NOW SAY YOU'RE STARING AT AN OPEN BARREL POINT-BLANK AND THEY'RE ABOUT TO FIRE! NO AMOUNT OF TALKING CAN SAVE YOU FROM THAT! AM I RIGHT, SOLDIER?!"

     "Yes sir!!"

     "THEN START ACTING LIKE A REAL SOLDIER AND SHOW ME NO MERCY! WE DON'T WIN UNTIL THE ENEMIES' GUTS ARE PILED HIGHER THAN NOTCH'S TOWER! DO YOU HEAR ME!!?"

     "Yes-s sir!!" You had no real thoughts of your own. Only to say what he wanted you to say and do what he wanted you to do. Anything to pry his glaring eyes from your pain stricken form.

     "I SAID DO YOU HEAR ME!?!"

     "YES SIR!"

><><><>The present...I guess<><><><

.

     You woke up for the first time in a while feeling at peace. Stretched out, laying on your stomach and stretching your limbs outward to take up as much space as a starfish might, you sighed, realizing morning was here at last and that your blissful sleep would have to come to an end soon. Pillows were all around to comfort you, a deep, deliciously exquisite mattress under your body.