-The Beginning-

•·················•·················•

Jackson, Summer 2034

Joel

The sky was a perfect blue, not a cloud in sight. The shade from the tree protected us from the beaming sun, and with the soft summer breeze it made the heat bearable. I cherished days like this. Days of her and me – no one to interrupt us. It didn't happen often, so we had to take what we could get. Especially today.

We were sprawled out on the picnic blanket, my back against bark. Ruth had her head in my lap, and a book in her hands. Only she could convince me to let her read a book out loud, and a romance of all things. The novel wasn't completely foreign. It's considered a classic. I knew it was popular way back when. Pretty sure they made a movie or two, but I never saw them. Though, I wouldn't be opposed now – it wasn't half bad.

Could be because of the beautiful young woman reciting the words off the page. Her voice is soft and exact as she pronounces everything with carefulness, laughing a sweet apology whenever she messes up. I'd smile afterwards, my gaze eventually focusing on her. I'd watch blue glide with ease, her forehead crease when something shocking would happen. My fingers trailed along her sun kissed skin. A word would falter – barely noticeable to anyone else, but I do. My smile grows a little wider.

She was wearing this sundress – my favorite dress. Lots of flowers, a little shorter showing off her legs, the top was tight hugging her figure. Her hair was pushed back with a red bandana to keep it out of her face. She's been wearing it down more and more lately. I think it's because she knows I like it that way.

It's been almost a year since we left Boston. Almost a year since I walked into that room and saw her for the first time. Hesitant, but not so much closed off. Willingly to give things a chance – including me. It hadn't clicked then. Seeing Ellie hit closer to home more than anything. I didn't realize how dangerous Ruth really was until the church, in Lincoln. The way the sunlight poured through the window highlighting each one of her features – it was enough to slow time. An image I never want to forget.

I knew what I saw in her from that day on. Strength, courage, kindness – a pure heart too good for this world. Too good for me. Stubborn, insensitive, close-minded. A downright ass, if I'm being honest. But she saw something, and she lured it out of me a little more every day. Had I known then what I do now, maybe I would have done a few things differently. Maybe, I wouldn't have fought it so hard had I known I'd lose. We could have gotten to this point a lot sooner.

I slip my hand into the front pocket of my jeans, feeling the ring between my fingers, nerves settling in my chest. I cleared my throat and adjusted in the slightest causing Ruth to look up from the book with concern.