-Home-

•·················•·················•

A dim light glowed against the curtain in front of the window. I didn't even know that she was home. She leaves first thing in the morning to help where she can. Pretty soon, Maria said she'll have regular posts like the rest of us. Rarely does she come in to say good morning, or even goodbye. The evenings were still quiet, but she would eat with Joel and I on occasion. Conversation would be light and awkward most of the time. She helps with dishes then sneaks out at the first opportunity.

It's been a few months. She's still holding onto this idea that it would have worked. Had they gotten what they need, there would have been a vaccine. In her mind, her immunity – this gift – means nothing. Everything we went through – it was all for nothing.

I'm holding onto this idea that with time, it will get better. She will at least try to move on from all of it. Let the past die. But if she and I are anything alike – which we are – it's going to take a lot more than that. She'll pretend she's okay, and she'll never be able to convince me if she truly isn't. And that's the problem. If she can't let it go – neither can I.

I scooped two bowls of chili instead of one, then went on the hunt for the book I've been meaning to give her. Found it on the bookshelf – of course. Out the back door and down the steps, I followed the path to Ellie's converted bedroom. Standing in front of the door, I can't knock since my hands are full, so I settled for yelling and hope that she will hear me.

"Ellie!"

"Yeah?"

"Dinner!" I shouted back.

There's a pause, "Okay, one sec..."

A couple seconds later, the door swings open and I smile. "Hey."

She smiles in return, slightly disheveled, releasing a breathy, "Hey..."

My face twists with amusement. "Getting to the door a little difficult for you?"

A muffled huff comes through her nose, a humorous spark missing. "Ha ha...very funny."

I chuckled softly in return and brought her attention to the food. "Can I come in?"

"Sure." She steps aside, making room for me to walk in. The once-garage had already been modified to be a guest house. There was a full bathroom, a small kitchenette, and a living room. Ellie had a desk where she spent most of her time drawing, and she's gotten good. Her journal was open, but I couldn't see its contents from where I stood. There were string lights hanging in front of the garage door, a few posters were pinned to the wall. It was very – Ellie.