-Into the Storm-

•·················•·················•

Early the next morning. The sun was still hidden behind the horizon, the birds weren't chirping outside the window, the roosters hadn't started to crow. Telltale signs that the reason behind the irritating knocks at the front door were important. Did either of us get up? Not at all.

I burrowed deeper into Joel's grasp until my back was flushed against him and attempted to drift back off. Knowing Tommy, he would find a way into the house whether we opened the door or not. Why waste time going downstairs? Maybe, if we were lucky, he would bother someone else.

There was a prolonged silence, and I held my breath. Passing the thirty second mark would be considered a success. I counted twenty-six before the dreaded pounding ensued.

A rough exhale blows past my ear, "Goddammit."

"Leave it," I mumbled sleepily, tightening my arms around his when he tried to get free. He thought about it for a moment, but when three more perfectly timed knocks filled the quiet, a kiss was pressed into the back of my head.

"I'm just gonna go see what he needs." He untangled our arms, cold air hitting my back when he threw back the blankets.

I yank them higher up to my chest, flipping over to face him. "You know what he needs," I say, laying my head in my hand. He's already slipping on a pair of jeans and throwing a t-shirt on. "They can find someone else." Softened hazel eyes meet mine, and I resorted to pouting out my bottom lip in the slightest.

A small, amused smile tugs at the corner of his lips, yet despite my efforts, he walked around the bed. "I'll be right back."

I already knew that was not going to happen, so I rolled out of bed too. I tiptoed around the room grabbing one of Joel's flannels and a pair of sweats from the dresser. In the meantime, the front door opened, and unintelligible words followed.

The stairs moaned under my feet, their voices becoming clearer with each step down. I find them standing in the doorway, letting in a bunch of cold air. I noticed a fresh layer of snow covering the ground behind Tommy. It looked like it was starting to fall again too.

I grabbed their attention, their heads snapping toward me. Tommy dips his head and gives me a warm smile. "Mornin', Ruthie."

"Morning, Tommy."

"Happy Birthday," he follows with as I approach them, standing by Joel's side.

I smiled graciously, the date completely slipping my mind. "Thank you. What's going on?"

"There's been a few reports from the north about some infected," the younger brother explains.

"Maria wants us to scout it out," Joel adds.