-The Party-

•·················•·················•

Jackson, 2038

4 years later

Music filled the church, drowning out laughter and small conversation. Couples danced, weaving through one another with wide grins and cheerful eyes. Kids ran about, causing as much chaos as their parents would allow them. I watched while nursing a beer, tapping my foot to the beat. Parties were no small occasion in Jackson and there was no shortage of them either. Sometimes there isn't even a reason other than to get everyone together. The whole town shows up, some only for an hour or two, others stumbled out as the sun was coming up. Those select few almost always regret it in the morning, but never learned from their mistakes. There were already bets going around seeing who would try to switch their morning patrols tomorrow. 

My eyes are pulled from the dance floor as something bumps my elbow. "Sorry, Ms. Ruth!" Two little bodies go running past me, giggling among themselves and sneaking back into the crowd. 

I chuckled, taking a sip from the bottle and in my peripherals, I caught a familiar face. Standing similarly to how I was, she also had a drink in her hand, her eyes set forward. This was my first time seeing her all week. That felt impossible seeing how she lived in my backyard, in the same small town neither of us can leave. But you want to avoid someone enough you'll do everything you can to make it happen. 

It never got better. In fact, it only got worse. She never stopped wondering. Never stopped asking questions. Eventually, she was tired of the same answers. The truth came out – and she was finished. I've watched her continue to grow from a far. She's changed a lot that past couple years. Not only looks, but personality. The wildly talkative, and goofy teen I once knew was fading. Somewhere, deep down, I knew that part of her was still there, but it wasn't as bright as it once was.    

It hurts, seeing her and knowing she wants nothing to do with me or Joel, but I've accepted it. Surprisingly enough. I brought it upon myself – it was the consequence of my choices. If it's what she wanted, there's nothing I can say or do to change her mind. Not anymore.   

A faint smile accompanied her intense gaze – enamored. I followed the look to Dina skipping across the room with a partner. If I were standing there next to her, I'd be pushing her in the direction of the young woman. I heard Dina and Jesse broke up – though that wasn't an uncommon occurrence. The two were very on again, off again. Ellie's probably thinking they'll end up back together within the next week, which is why she won't make a move. 

"Need another?" 

I glance at the half empty bottle then the blonde coming up on my left. "No, I'm alright. Thank you, though."