-Ambush-

•·················•·················•

Lincoln, 2033

"Joel!"

One second, he's standing upright, the next he's being dragged across the floor by his foot. I dropped whatever was in my hands and darted toward the door after him. Now, he's being suspended about five feet off the ground in the middle of a garage, upside down.

"Shit," I cursed seeing the scene from the doorway then jogged toward him. "Here, I got you," I said, grabbing ahold of his biceps to stop him from swinging. Naturally, I did a quick scan over his face to make sure he wasn't seriously hurt.

"Goddamnit, Bill..." he muttered.

"What the hell just happened?" Ellie shouted from the back of the room. I think she was too scared to move forward in case she might trip something else. 

Joel sighed, his eyes roaming our surroundings. "It's another one of Bill's traps. There, that fridge. It looks like the counterweight."

Looking over, I see what he's talking about. "Ellie, why don't you cut the rope. It will bring him down," I instructed.

"On it." 

She ran to the other side of the room and climbed onto the fridge, then pulled out her switchblade so she can cut the rope. I averted my gaze back to Joel who looked very uncomfortable, and I just knew I was about to make it worse.

I flashed a cheesy smile. "How you hanging?" 

"Ha ha, very funny," he says monotonously while rolling his eyes, resulting in a chuckle out of me.

"Guys..." Ellie called out worriedly. I glanced over my shoulder to see what the matter was, cursing under my breath when the wailing screams of infected met my ears.

    Joel shouts, "Shit, here they come!" They start climbing the fence that borders the mechanic shop. Panic creeps in as I think about this being the absolute worst-case scenario. Joel being basically free bait and Ellie defenseless on the top of a fridge. Awesome.

    I unsheathe my gun, readying myself and much to my surprise, Joel does the same. One jumps down, and I raise the weapon shooting it right in the head. Two more land beside the dead one, and the smuggler and I tag team them.

    "Guys!" Ellie yells a little louder this time as more of them circled around the perimeter.

    "Just cut the rope, Ellie!" Since Joel had a majority of the front covered, I face the direction of his blind spot and take out runners coming from that way. The two of us did our best to keep them from getting close to the teen; keep them out of the garage, honestly. But there was so many of them that it was nearly impossible. I was running low on bullets, which meant Joel had to be too.